Stream from remote Linux PC with USB webcam to ZoneMinder

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Chrisblob

Stream from remote Linux PC with USB webcam to ZoneMinder

Post by Chrisblob »

Hi there,

I have the following ZM system...

ZM 1.26.5 running on a Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 2GB RAM SFF PC
1 x 720p USB webcam connected direct to the ZM machine
1 x 480p D-link DCS-930L IP camera on my LAN

Its about as simple as ZM setups get, and works very well, but one potential access point to my house directly into my music/computer studio (where all the expensive/cool stuff lives) isn't covered by either of the cameras. So I'd like to add a 3rd camera to the mix covering the studio and potentially anyone lurking outside the window adjacent to the studio.

I have a quite old Compaq/HP Celeron M based 1.6GHz single core 13" laptop, and a Logitech C120 webcam that have been gathering dust for years, and I'd like to use those rather than buy a new IP cam. So I installed an Ubuntu 14.04 based distro called KXStudio on the laptop, plugged in the camera, and bingo - the camera works fine (can open it in VLC, see it in webcam test websites).

Since the camera works I next need to setup ffserver and ffmpeg to stream - that is where I'm getting confused reading on forums etc. What do I need to do with ffserver/ffmpeg to create a stream that ZM will be able to read, and when I go to add the new monitor what options in the general and source tabs will I need to use to get that stream being modected?

Please be patient with me - I had major heart surgery 2 years ago and my short term memory/cognition isn't what it used to be - things like this can now get very confusing without actual examples of syntax etc. It is a quite simple setup I guess, and I'd like to stream at 10 fps, 640x480, and no audio - if people would show example syntax that will help me hugely as I can see how its meant to look, then adapt to my setup. :D

Regards,

Chris W, New Zealand.