ZM 1.25 on Raspberry Pi

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
motion2082

ZM 1.25 on Raspberry Pi

Post by motion2082 »

Hey guys,

Have recently purchased a Raspberry Pi Model B.

INSTALLATION:
1) Installed Raspbian via NOOBS
2) Installed Zoneminder (sudo apt-get install zoneminder)
- //localhost/zm did not work so made this change which fixed problem:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /etc/zm/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/zoneminder.conf
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
My SETUP:
I currently have 2x Foscam FI8910W IP Cameras on my Home Network.

I have successfully set up these 2x Cameras with Foscams basic firmware"
System Firmware Version: 11.37.2.55
WebUI Firmware Version: 2.4.10.9

I can log into them via no-ip with no issues.

When I try to add these to Zoneminder in RPi they are not recognised by ZM.

FOSCAM SETTINGS are as follows:

Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: 192.168.1.100
Remote Host Port: 8282
Remote Host Path: /videostream.cgi?user=visitor&pwd=visitor
Remote Image Colors: 24 bit color
Capture Width (pixels): 640
Capture Height (pixels): 480

I have tested the exact setup on Ubuntu running Zoneminder 1.26 and it works.

What do you guys recommend?
- Update to 1.26?
- Install FFMPEG?
- Other
motion2082

Re: ZM 1.25 on Raspberry Pi

Post by motion2082 »

Ok guys, updated ZM to 1.26 and made some adjustments to the config file. Everything is working :)

Now I just have to figure out how to Motion Detect Record to my USB device
nugget

Post by nugget »

Very interesting - thanks for the info. It's an interesting choice of minimal hardware and I'd be interested to find out how it performs for real.

I thought my install was fairly minimal, I used to run on a power hungry quad core PC (one of the Red Hat Linux variants), but have just reinstalled on a HP Microserver running VMware ESXi, and a Netgear ReadyNAS as the backing storage. Both devices combined use about 25-50% of the power of my old beastie. I was skeptical about the CPU availability for ZM, bit it seems fine so far (1 network camera consumes about 10% CPU of the Microserver, leaving heaps for my other virtual machines.

The downside of the Microserver is the expansion ports - there are a couple of PCIe slots, but due to the limited room inside the serveryou need to find half height cards, so I'm attempting to find good (ie cheap) IP cameras. I've had varied success with Tenvis cameras (Ebay cheapie, abt $100). 2 different models, one was reasonably painless, the other I am yet to see working (there's a thread in the ZM 1.26 forum on this).

Any ideas or feedback you have about your cameras would be appreciated.
motion2082

Post by motion2082 »

nugget wrote:Very interesting - thanks for the info. It's an interesting choice of minimal hardware and I'd be interested to find out how it performs for real..
Hi Nugget,

Abandoned ZM on my RPi after one week. I found that it could not handle modetect and was skipping events.

So I have turned my RPi into a hidden webcam server with ftp motion being sent from my IP cameras to the RPi.
nugget wrote:
so I'm attempting to find good (ie cheap) IP cameras. I've had varied success with Tenvis cameras (Ebay cheapie, abt $100). 2 different models, one was reasonably painless, the other I am yet to see working (there's a thread in the ZM 1.26 forum on this).
Any ideas or feedback you have about your cameras would be appreciated.
I would not recommend my Foscam FI8910 Cameras. I you want cheap and nasty these are ok. Cover 2.8mm but only at 300K Megapixels at 640x320. Motion Detect blurs the subject and I get about half a down false alarms every day from changes in lighting.

Look at Hikvision 2032 Bullet Cameras (1080p at 3MP), can get them from E&M Security or CCTV Camera China (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1010031) for about US$110 each.

Alternately Suneyes Mini IP Cameras are only US$60 (720p at 1.3MP) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SunEyes- ... 49559.html
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

motion2082 wrote:
nugget wrote:Very interesting - thanks for the info. It's an interesting choice of minimal hardware and I'd be interested to find out how it performs for real.

Hi Nugget,

Abandoned ZM on my RPi after one week. I found that it could not handle modetect and was skipping events.

Better use a BeagleBone black for this, with one IPCam or Webcam works perfect.

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
alphete

Post by alphete »

Interesting (and sad confirmation) post.

I also bought just a few days ago a Raspberry Pi B (512mb) to set up as a Security Camm monitor with Motion Detection, hoping to use Zoneminder.

I also managed to get some issues with kernel shared memory which finally was able to overcome.
However, I'm in the phase where Modetect will just not work.

I have a similar set up as you, two Foscam Clones, with Foscam firmware.
I reduced the whole setup to only one camm, and it simply cannot work as expected.

I was playing with QEMU, Raspbian and Zoneminder before buying the actual HW. And some of the issues I got (which were actually related with the fine tuning) I assumed would go away when I actually performed the test on HW, non-emulated environment.

Anyway, I will try to give it a try one more time.

Could you please share some configuration settings with me?
Specifically information on kernel settings shmmax and shmall, and any other tweaks you might have performed to make it work (such as rate setting on videotream.cgi link, and the modetect settings)

Thanks!