FLOSS Weekly and New UI Teaser

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.

Do you like the look that the new UI is headed?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 29

kylejohnson

FLOSS Weekly and New UI Teaser

Post by kylejohnson »

Hey everyone.

I haven't been very active in the forums and I apologize for that - the other users and contributors here are doing a great job. If you really need to get a hold of me, please stop by IRC.

With that said, I wanted to share a bit of news.

Firstly, ZoneMinder was recently featured on FLOSS Weekly where they interviewed me for about a half hour. Speaking isn't my strong point, but you can find the interview here (audio and video formats).

Secondly, I wanted to post a teaser of the work on the upcomming rewrite of the UI: Image

There is still a whoooole lot to do, but it seems to be finally coming together. Remember that this isn't just a re-skinning of the old UI, but a complete rewrite in the CakePHP framework with jQuery.
Idling as gnulnx in #zoneminder on freenode. Come say hi!
Torsten73

Re: FLOSS Weekly and New UI Teaser

Post by Torsten73 »

I'am happy about seeing it getting forward. Go on , good work :!:
Maybe you have some Moore Screenshots for us, then its easyer for us to give statements to the new UI.
McFuzz

Post by McFuzz »

IMHO, one of the best strong points of ZoneMinder is the very minimalistic and simple UI; not many frills and things of that nature... So with that said, I like the way the new UI is headed... :)
Basildane

Post by Basildane »

I have a suggestion.

One of the things I have to change locally in montage.php is the fact that images are all different sizes.
This looks very bad, and when you have wildly different camera resolutions, like I do, then it becomes impossible.
One camera takes up more than the entire screen, and 8 cameras are not even visible.

I think it looks much nicer if you can configure all the images to be the same size in the montage view.
windracer

Post by windracer »

kylejohnson wrote:Firstly, ZoneMinder was recently featured on FLOSS Weekly where they interviewed me for about a half hour. Speaking isn't my strong point, but you can find the interview here (audio and video formats).
Very nice!

Did they provide any of the questions ahead of time for you? Some of them seemed a little "unfair" to just drop on you (like the "what security conferences are applicable to this space?").

Nice to put a face to the name. 8)
kylejohnson

Post by kylejohnson »

Basildane wrote:I have a suggestion.

One of the things I have to change locally in montage.php is the fact that images are all different sizes.
This looks very bad, and when you have wildly different camera resolutions, like I do, then it becomes impossible.
One camera takes up more than the entire screen, and 8 cameras are not even visible.

I think it looks much nicer if you can configure all the images to be the same size in the montage view.
Hello there,

I am currently scaling all images to a fixed width - so while the widths will be the same, the height will need to be different to preserve aspect ratios. You can see what I'm talking about below:

windracer wrote:
kylejohnson wrote:Firstly, ZoneMinder was recently featured on FLOSS Weekly where they interviewed me for about a half hour. Speaking isn't my strong point, but you can find the interview here (audio and video formats).
Very nice!

Did they provide any of the questions ahead of time for you? Some of them seemed a little "unfair" to just drop on you (like the "what security conferences are applicable to this space?").

Nice to put a face to the name. 8)
Unfortunately they did not - unfortunately the whole thing felt kind of rushed and a little bit like I was doing them a favor for being on the show. They wouldn't even put the tagline that I wanted under my name (a bit.ly link pointing to a specifically designed welcome / landing page). That conference question definitely made me feel a bit like an idiot, as did when they kept asking about other open source projects that I contribute to.
Idling as gnulnx in #zoneminder on freenode. Come say hi!
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Very nice, ZM has been overdue gui overall for a while.