livecd installation lan/internet problem

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
gej68

livecd installation lan/internet problem

Post by gej68 »

Hi I am relatively a novice to linux and zm. I have installed the livecd on a 2gig celeron with 256m ram with 2 hauppage bt878 capture cards. I can get the cards to show images on zm after the install but when I use the appache configure tool to point the server to /var/www/html/zm I have a problem. The zm webpage will come up fine on lan or internet but the cameras get no picture (outlined red). maybe somebody can tell me what I'm missing to make zoneminder to work on lan or internet. Obviously Green is when the cameras are working but whats the difference between red/yellow/blue?
gej68

Re: livecd installation lan/internet problem

Post by gej68 »

I have just noticed one more thing which may be related to my problem. I am at work and went to access zoneminder and it automatically logged me in. I dont think it was doing that on the home lan?

greg
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Greg,

I'm not sure I understand your reference to being outlined in red, can you give a few more details or a screen capture. Similarly, I'm not sure I exactly follow you when you say <i>get the cards to show images on zm after the install but when I use the appache configure tool to point the server to /var/www/html/zm I have a problem</i>, can you explain what you mean here. Also have you checked the log files for any errors?

Phil,
gej68

Post by gej68 »

The outlined in red or yellow or green would be the lettering for the camera Source. When both cameras source were outlined in green I could get the montage feature to work. I have been fighting with the settings with mandrakes config tool with limited success. I have noticed sometimes I could get 1 camera but not the other. I have been playing with /etc/modules.conf by changing card=63 because when I do a ZMU dump it will say 1 or both cards set for PAL. I also tried adding the line "alias char-major-81 bttv. I am not sure what to do on configuring the cameras but I think somewhere along the line its got changed and I'm having a hard time getting consistant results and zm is getting confused.

How would I go about telling Mandrake to set both my Haupauge cards to be NTSC and use composite 1 input. I have noticed sometimes I get a picture in xawtv but its vertical sync is off. sometimes switching settings around a little while will sync it up but is this going to be reliable in zm if I have that problem. I get alot of lockups on xawtv if either of its windows overlaps with another window also.

What I mean about the apache server change is both monitors were working in montage but when you went to access the website via lan or internet you get the standard apache page when it doesn't find your index page. I used the mandrake config tool to point apache to /var/www/html/zm and then zm website comes up on lan or internet but then my camera problems started.

I hope this info helps, I have had more luck in the past with redhat with their gui config tools than with mandrake but I do like the package of everyting getting configured without heavy duty compiling. I would love to get this thing working after a small taste of what its supposed to do.

thanks greg
gej68

Post by gej68 »

The outlined in red or yellow or green would be the lettering for the camera Source. When both cameras source were outlined in green I could get the montage feature to work. I have been fighting with the settings with mandrakes config tool with limited success. I have noticed sometimes I could get 1 camera but not the other. I have been playing with /etc/modules.conf by changing card=63 because when I do a ZMU dump it will say 1 or both cards set for PAL. I also tried adding the line "alias char-major-81 bttv. I am not sure what to do on configuring the cameras but I think somewhere along the line its got changed and I'm having a hard time getting consistant results and zm is getting confused.

How would I go about telling Mandrake to set both my Haupauge cards to be NTSC and use composite 1 input. I have noticed sometimes I get a picture in xawtv but its vertical sync is off. sometimes switching settings around a little while will sync it up but is this going to be reliable in zm if I have that problem. I get alot of lockups on xawtv if either of its windows overlaps with another window also.

What I mean about the apache server change is both monitors were working in montage but when you went to access the website via lan or internet you get the standard apache page when it doesn't find your index page. I used the mandrake config tool to point apache to /var/www/html/zm and then zm website comes up on lan or internet but then my camera problems started.

I hope this info helps, I have had more luck in the past with redhat with their gui config tools than with mandrake but I do like the package of everyting getting configured without heavy duty compiling. I would love to get this thing working after a small taste of what its supposed to do.

thanks greg
gej68

Post by gej68 »

thanks greg
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Greg,

I _think_ I remember other posts where people have been having trouble with two Hauppauge WinTV cards in the same system. I don't know if they use the same interrupts or some other resource but I seem to recall that they didn't like co-existing.

As for the settings, ZM will setup the cards when it starts including setting them to NTSC.

I'll try and find the other posts if I can.

Phil,
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi Greg,
You might check to see if you are being bit by the permissions bug described in this thread:
http://www.zoneminder.com/forum_general ... a18f93783d

It will cause the devices to be in red letters in the console window. A hack to fix the problem is there too.

Best regards,
Ross
gej68

Post by gej68 »

I read the post and performed the modification. Yes my log did indicate all kinds of permission denied messages. That problem appears to be fixed!

when going into zoneminder website both sources show green now and zm responds crisply to my commands instead of lagging sometimes. camera(1) works fine but camera(0) only shows blue screen. both show up as idle and 16.67 fps. In the message log it says something along the line of "video0 device or resource busy". scanning the log it also says bttv0=IRQ 17 and bttv1=IRQ18.

definately making progress now... thanks a bunch and patience with a novice. am I missing something obvious on this problem?
gej68

Post by gej68 »

video(0) device or resource busy might have been generated when I tried to do a zmu dump and was denied so that message may have no troubleshooting value.
gej68

Post by gej68 »

ok this is weird and may have some troubleshooting value. I accessed the website from another computer on the home lan and used the montage feature. For a couple of seconds both cameras windows were displaying camera(1) output!!!! then camera(0) went to blue screen. Sounds like some kind of conflict?

2 capture cards being used are both Hauppauge WinTV
gej68

Post by gej68 »

sorry about the numerous replys... I removed my changes to /etc/modules.conf back to the way mandrake set it up ie "card=10" not "card=63" and low and behold both cameras work now!!! and on the LAN!! Now moving on to learning to setup ZONES correctly!!!!!!!!

Thanks PHIL and ROSS for all Help and Patience, I can now show some progress to my friends that tell me to find some windows software for the cameras and ditch the linux thing.

Thanks again
GREG