Paged and searchable forums

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
peterthevicar

Paged and searchable forums

Post by peterthevicar »

Hi Philip,

Just a couple of suggestions to cut down traffic on your site:

1) Could you use a forum program that puts the entries into pages of 10 or so entries? That would save having to load the whole forum / thread for long forums / threads (phpbb provides this)
2) A search facility for the forums would save quite a bit of duplicate posting and be a useful resource (phpbb provides this)
3) It's often hard to know whether to post into Installation or General issues so again a fair bit of duplication happens. Perhaps the two should be combined?

Just some thoughts.

Peter
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: Paged and searchable forums

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Peter,

All good suggestions. The problem at the the moment is that I've built with site with Typo3 a GPL CMS. The advantages of typ3 are that things that migth take you a couple of weeks to do can be done in hours, the disadvantages of it are that things that might take a couple of hours (e.g. getting autologin working) can take weeks. It's a complex morass which is extremely difficult to figure out and at the moment I don't have a lot fo spare time.

However, apparently there is a phpBB component for it which I will have a look at. With a bit of luck it won't be like most other components which end up with development stopping when they're 90% complete and the features you want are in the 10% that's left!

Phil,