introduction - ZM commercial

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
steve

introduction - ZM commercial

Post by steve »

Hi Guys

I think I can peddle zoneminder commercially here in enzed, so I'm gonna have a swing at it. I'm thinking VIA EPIA boxes, 802.11b, cheap webcams, and targetting the security industry as well as some businesses/homes/other directly.

Is anyone here thinking the same, or better, doing it ?

Next, what is the distro of choice to base ZM on ? I note the liveCD image - downloading.

Which USBcams 'just work', give good results and the least hassle, and in general really make your life easy ?

Lastly, an emotional 'thank you' to the mover(s) and shaker(s) here - your software might even butter my bread, and if it does, I'll make sure it butters yours too. nice.

/me opens mind

best,
Steve
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: introduction - ZM commercial

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Steve,

I don't know if anyone is packaging ZM in the way you have described though I am talking to several people about it. I have the same process going on here, how to commoditise it in terms of easy installation and distros etc. Ross Melin created the LiveCD and I think I'm going to have to do something along the same lines, or perhaps a Fedora Kickstart.

I would be slightly dubious about using USB webcams, depending on the type of installtion you are anticipating. For one thing the maximum USB cable run is only 5 metres so you can't get too far away with that, plus bandwidth is pretty poor. There are some neat network cameras out there (Axis 205) which I have installed but otherwise regular video cameras may be cheaper and more versatile, especially for low light or outdoors. I notice you mentioned 802.11b, what would you do with that?

Cheers,

Phil,
steve

Post by steve »

Hey Phil,

pleased to meet you.

I recently built (for fun) a Fujitsu-1000 webpad into a wireless X client.. I started with a mini debian distro called 'pebble' and apt-get everything I needed without a single glitch, and by the time I had finished I had consumed a mere 75MB of my total 105MB HDD. All very ironic, since I am a redhat person.. but I built this thing from scratch in hours... very smooth. So debian'izing it would be very, very tidy. /me ducks

USB cams - thanks for that. I anticipated placing two ot three cams in very close proximity to the ZM box, and doing the rest with networking. Need more cams? add more boxes, or Axis gear etc as youi mention.

802.11b ? That's my networking. Commercially, cables are inconvenient and expensive. Wireless is easy - whether it will handle the bandwidth, congestion, and hidden nodes is a different topic. It is also easy to jam/DOS attack.

best to all,
Steve
Michale01

Post by Michale01 »

Hello MR: steve. I am Michale johans From USA and I am new here in this forum, Actually I was also looking for some new ideas for developing the new technologies for the home and business security and I also found some related threads here (this one too) that's why I sign up this forum for getting and sharing more ideas and knowledge. so thanks in advance.