MJPEG support?

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
madmax

MJPEG support?

Post by madmax »

Would support for Hardware based MJPEG cards such as the Pinnacle DC10+ be possible? That would reduce the CPU overhead... wouldn't it?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: MJPEG support?

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Chris,

Support for MPEG cards is planned once I find a library that can decode a MPEG stream. I doubt whether it would reduce any CPU overhead though, probably the reverse. Currently all ZM has to do is grab a frame and have a look at it to tell what has changed. With an MPEG stream ZM would have to hold the base frame and then apply each intermediate frame to it to generate a reference, this is likely to be more work than at present. Even if it just took an inter frame as 'the changes' it would still need to regenerate base frames etc for the event record images. So while it would reduce bandwidth for sure I would expect a significant increase in processing. Generally speaking MPEG stream are also a lot more granular and generally crappy than grabbed frames so precision would reduce.

The good news in the meantime however is that v1.18.0 which is out shortly will reduce CPU overhead by between 20 and 600% so hopefully if that's something you're worried about it will go some way to helping.

Phil,