PV-143 card, first 2 monitors perfect, last 2 messed up

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
cadillackid

PV-143 card, first 2 monitors perfect, last 2 messed up

Post by cadillackid »

I am using a single chip PV-143 card from bluecherry. each of the 4 monitors is set at 640 x 480 resolution. the first 2 are modect and are set at 2 FPS during idle time and 6 FPS in alarm.

the first 2 work fine, the second 2 i have issues with the video rendering. the second 2 are set as monitors at 640x480 also.

the first 2 work beautifully, the second 2 do some wierd rendering where i get 3 miniture images of the video feed across the top and the rest ofthe image is blank.... below is an image of what im getting..

any ideas?

im going to switch to a PV-149 card with 4 chips to see if this helps.. but im told using that card will greatly increase CPU and memory usage...and my memory is already getting eaten up to the max within a few hours... however it doesnt go to swap space..

-Christopher
If you cant Hook it up, Transmit to it, Receive from it, or Squeal the tires on it i dont want it.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Post your /var/log/dmesg. What are your modprobe settings? How much memory do you have? Will it work at 320x240?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

have you restarted zm afetr adding the additional monitors

re the mem thing its a linux issue its not actually using it all please read about memory management on linux
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

Check shared memory settings. Reduce the resolution to 320x240...try greyscale instead of YUV or RGB

Thanks
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
cadillackid

Post by cadillackid »

Ok I think I found the issue.. appears that on single Chip cards... and it may be documented somewhere but i couldnt find it that the capture settings for all channel on the card have to be identical to each other ... my first 2 monitors are programmed as 640 x 480 gray scale(they are BW cameras), the third monitor is programmed but not used, and the 4th monitor.. the weather radar screen (for my home automation system) is programmed at 640 x 480 RGB24, when I took curtis's suggestion and set all to gray scale, they all came up and worked.. so I ten set them all to RGB24 and they all work, the minute I change one from RGB to gray it knocks one of the others off.. so I guess the single chipset isnt capable of switching on the fly that quick...

all this should be mute as i have a 4 chip card on the way that I am going to replace the single chip with. but I wanted to let everyone know of the fix in case others have the issue

the post about the memory seems correct.. my swap space is stayingpretty much at 0 so the memory gets "eaten" but seems to still be plenty available for apps not sure why it does it on this machine yet my asterisk server.. an identical PC with the same fedora load on it seems not to have this issue.. it isnt running apache and it isnt running ZM so maybe apache is the culprit?
-Christopher
If you cant Hook it up, Transmit to it, Receive from it, or Squeal the tires on it i dont want it.