Source Red, Can't open /dev/shm/zm...

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
Ruler

Re: Source Red, Can't open /dev/shm/zm...

Post by Ruler »

BTW, the following are spit out onto the console whenever starting ZM. They didn't happen AFAIR under the old system and I don't know if they're important or not.

Code: Select all

bttv0: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv1: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv2: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv3: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv4: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv5: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv6: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
bttv7: PLL can sleep, using XTAL (28636363)
This message is made up of not less than 90% recycled electrons.
knight-of-ni

Re: Source Red, Can't open /dev/shm/zm...

Post by knight-of-ni »

Ruler wrote: Would it be better to use the 64 bit OS/RPM, even though the machine is only 32 bit?
64bit is the norm these days. I did roll the 32bit rpm specifically for old hardware though. The rpm should work just as well as the 64bit rpm. Note that one can buy used servers, back off lease, for peanuts. Recently, I bought an HP Proliant DL365 w/ four 2.8GHz cores and 8GB ram off EBay for $150 (that includes shipping too!). I've got ip cameras that cost more than that.
Ruler wrote: 1. Each input (/dev/video[0-7]) has two cameras hooked up to it - one on channel 0 and the other on channel 1. There's horizontal 'static' on each camera, but when it gets bad you can see that it's really part of the image on each channel running into the other. I remember way back having to tell ZM to discard frames for each one captured to allow the card to change channels; I bumped up 'Frame Skip' under the Misc tab in the source and it has no effect. I recorded an AVI from both input channels and there is none of this 'mixing' present, though ffmpeg doesn't let one record from both simultaneously; apparently the ffmpeg devs feel it necessary to impose an exclusive lock on the entire device when starting, no matter if the channel you tell it to use is in use or not.
Read the documentation regarding Frame Skip. I'm not sure that will help. Actually, I think that may be skewing your results for items 2 & 3 below.

I haven't used an analog capture card in years so I only have suggestions to try. I would go through these settings and find out which combination produces the desired output (sorted in order of importance):
Options -> Config -> V4L_MULTI_BUFFER (try both settings)
Monitor -> Source -> Capture Method (alternate between v4l version 1& 2)
Monitor -> Misc -> Frame Skip (set this to 0)
Monitor -> Source -> Deinterlacing (turn off for testing purposes)
Monitor -> Source -> Target Colospace (32bit will be the fastest b.c it uses SSE, but try 24bit)
Options -> Config -> CPU_EXTENSIONS (on is preferred, but try both)
Ruler wrote: 2. Some monitors have WAY too many events for the amount of time elapsed. All monitors are set to 'Record' mode and should start a new event ever 300 seconds (5 minutes). A couple also have too few. Given how long the system has been running, there should be ~20 events; two monitors have half this many and two others have over 400 each.

3. I have each monitor set to record at 1 fps. Given that each event is a set 300 seconds, each event should have ~300 frames. However, most events are nowhere near this, most ranging from 5 (!!!) to 100 frames.
Turn off frame skip and then repeat.
Ruler wrote: 4. The browser when interfacing with the system stops working for several seconds at a time, both in the ZM console and other tabs. It's like everything is paused for anywhere from 1-7 seconds and then comes back. Keystrokes & mouse clicks made during the lag time are buffered. Doesn't matter if you're in the tab of the interface or another and it doesn't seem to be synchronous with the console refreshing itself. In fact, I've found no pattern to it at all; happens on both my windoze & unix workstations. No other applications are affected.
Well, given your hardware, I can tell you that mysql queries are going to be real slow out of the box. That can cause a delay between when you open a new window and when it get populated with data. You can minimize by tweaking your mysql my.cnf file, but that is a discussion in and of itself and is outside the scope of this thread.

PS: Now that you are running a modern OS, you should be able to enable AHCI in your disk controller bios (previously I told you to turn it off) for a free performance boost in disk i/o.
Ruler wrote: 5. I had problems replaying past events, but it seems to be working OK currently.
K.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/