Fedora 24 ZM 1.30

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
JarmoK

Fedora 24 ZM 1.30

Post by JarmoK »

Anyone got ZM working in Fedora 24? Updated Fedora from 20 to 24 and had to do new
install of ZM? ZM starts ok, but no events logged and this
socket_sendto( /var/lib/zoneminder/sock/zms- failed: No such file or directory
started again, when try watch monitor. I had this socket problem in F20, but solved it
somehow, but have forgotten it :( . But this is new, that no events logged, even logs says
2016-08-14 11:17:21.737389 zmc_dvideo0 10587 INF Monitor-3: 23000 - Capturing at 2.90 fps zm_monitor.cpp 3116
No errors...

Any solutions?
knight-of-ni

Re: Fedora 24 ZM 1.30

Post by knight-of-ni »

Works fine on Fedora. That is what I develop on.
How did you install ZoneMinder on Fedora? What instructions did you follow?
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

From /usr/share/doc/zoneminder/Readme.Fedora
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Well, you answered one of the two questions so you are batting 0.500.
Since you are using Fedora, knowing how you installed ZoneMinder (see first question) on your system matters.

If you see "Capturing at xxx" in your logs, but you get socket_sendto when you try to open a live view, then that means your Apache configuration is broken. PATH_ZMS must agree with the Apache ScriptAlias. However, you haven't described your system with enough detail to allow anyone to tell you how to fix it.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

Ok, here's ScripAlias paths and I have copied "zms and symlink into /var/www/cgi-bin

Httpd.conf

IncludeOptional conf.d/*.conf
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

</IfModule>

#
# "/var/www/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
# CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
#
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options None
Require all granted
</Directory>

Zoneminder.conf

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin "/var/www/cgi-bin"
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
SSLRequireSSL
AllowOverride All
Options +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
<IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
# Apache 2.4
Require all granted
</IfModule>
<IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
# Apache 2.2
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</IfModule>
</Directory>

Zm.conf

# Path to ZoneMinder cgi files
ZM_PATH_CGI=/var/www/cgi-bin
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

The config file information you have posted does not match what is included with the zoneminder rpm found in zmrepo.

In your next response, please state how you installed ZoneMinder on your system. If you do not answer that question, then perhaps someone else can offer up their free time to help you.
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

Normal " dnf install zoneminder" followed /usr/share/doc/zoneminder/README.Fedora
procedure.Yes, they does not match, because they are just, what I have changed to
because original configs does not work. With originals I get same sock errors
so I changed them. .

What is for sure, with original configs, I can get zm working, when I disable from
httpd.conf ScriptAlias. But... That is not, how it should be done. If I disable it, I loose functionality
of homesite.

This sock error has been long time and there is lot's of material, how got working, but
not exact written docs. Some words, do that, do that, but no written howtos, belive
me, have been googled. I think, first time for me, was zm version 1.28 where this
error occured. And didn't write it down, what did, when got it working :( . And naturally
old confics are somewhere, because new install of F-24 :(
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

More investigations. Log says socket_sendto( /var/lib/zoneminder/sock/zms-531183s.sock ) failed: No such file or directory.
When I look, I find from /var/lib/zoneminder/sock is zmdc.sock.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

JarmoK wrote:Normal " dnf install zoneminder" followed /usr/share/doc/zoneminder/README.Fedora
procedure.Yes, they does not match, because they are just, what I have changed to
because original configs does not work. With originals I get same sock errors
so I changed them. .
This is why I asked the question three times.
If you did this step w/o first enabling our zmrepo, then you are using the package from the Fedora developers rather than ours. I don't know if anyone here uses the ZoneMinder package from Fedora because it does not have ffmpeg and libvlc support, which nearly all modern IP camera require these days. I certainly don't know how they have setup their ZoneMinder Apache config files. Anything with the path /var/www seems fishy though. Linux distros stopped putting packages under that folder a decade ago, opting to Alias in folders from other parts of the filesystem. Instead of /var/www you should have content in folders like /usr/share/zoneminder, /var/lib/zoneminder, etc.

If you want to stick with the ZoneMinder package from Fedora, you may get better help over in the Fedora forum.
One thing I can say is the ZoneMinder package in zmrepo works, right out of the box, assuming you don't go messing around in the config files.
JarmoK wrote: This sock error has been long time and there is lot's of material, how got working, but
not exact written docs.
Going back to my first response, in your case the sock error is caused by an incorrect Apache configuration. There is no doubt about that.
Without seeing exactly how the Fedora builders packaged ZoneMinder and knowing exactly where all the ZoneMinder files have been installed on your filesystem, I can only give you the generic answer I gave previously. Your PATH_ZMS (under options) has to agree with the scriptalias. Additionally, anything that points to /var/www is suspect and you should verify those folders are real.
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

Oh, my humble apologize. This version is from https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com/
Fedora package is v 1.28 in F24, what I try now, is this v 1.30.
Sorry, my English is version 1.0 from 1968 so there might be some misunderstandings.

Now returned all configs, like they are default, after Installation, no worky. Httpd.conf is
and has always been as default, not changed it. So hardly that is the reason.?

I've been using ZM from version 1.1x and always got it working, so, I'm not throwing my
hammer into well :)
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

JarmoK wrote:Oh, my humble apologize. This version is from https://zmrepo.zoneminder.com/
Fedora package is v 1.28 in F24, what I try now, is this v 1.30.
Sorry, my English is version 1.0 from 1968 so there might be some misunderstandings.

Now returned all configs, like they are default, after Installation, no worky. Httpd.conf is
and has always been as default, not changed it. So hardly that is the reason.?

I've been using ZM from version 1.1x and always got it working, so, I'm not throwing my
hammer into well :)
We test the zoneminder package for zmrepo weekly and know they work just fine right out of the box.
Your system is no longer in a clean state, and that is the root cause of the upgrade woes you are experiencing.
Because you've been using zoneminder for so long, you've no doubt developed some habits on how you've done things, which are hurting, rather than helping you.

In order to fix this now and for future upgrades, you need to uninstall what you currently have. Then manually go through your entire filesystem and purge any remaining zoneminder files, symlinks, config files, perl modules, etc. Delete everything zoneminder related under /var/www since that folder is not used and will only cause problems. If you have ever built zoneminder from-source, then you need to purge those files too, likely under /usr/local.

Put the system into the state it was in before anything zoneminder was installed on it.

You can keep your database and files, but it would be much simpler if you deleted those too and started over with a new database. I don't know how big your system is so I don't know how easy that will be.

Once you are certain you've got the system in a clean state, then start completely over with a new install of ZoneMinder, following the instructions in the README. Do not deviate from the instructions or do anything to the configuration not stated in the instructions.

If you do chose to keep your database and events, then you must place your events into /var/lib/zoneminder/events. Do NOT add any symlinks.
You also need to make sure PATH_ZMS is set to /cgi-bin-zm/nph-zms
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Oh, and make sure to place

Code: Select all

exclude=zoneminder*
into your yum base and updates repo files. Otherwise, a future yum/dnf update could wipe out all your work and put Fedora's zoneminder package on your system.
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

"You also need to make sure PATH_ZMS is set to /cgi-bin-zm/nph-zms ? This is kinda confusing."
In /usr/libexec/zoneminder there is folder cgi-bin, no cgi-bin-zm?
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

That is correct. PATH_ZMS does not point to a physical folder, it points to a ScriptAlias defined in the apache config file.
Just follow the instructions, without deviating, and you won't go wrong.
JarmoK

Post by JarmoK »

Ok now. Removed ALL related, made new db, installed newly. First start, same sock
error. Chowned /var/lib/zoneminder apache.apache. Started working. Now seems to be
time for beer...
THANX for zillion your patience for dummies :D