ZM 1.3 on CentOS 7

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.30.x releases only.
rockandroller

ZM 1.3 on CentOS 7

Post by rockandroller »

Just wanted to report that I did the 1.29 to 1.30 upgrade, and it was trouble-free.
ZM 1.3 appears to be working perfectly, THANKS!
SteveGilvarry

Re: ZM 1.3 on CentOS 7

Post by SteveGilvarry »

And thank you for taking the time to report good news.
Production Zoneminder 1.37.x (Living dangerously)
Random Selection of Cameras (Dahua and Hikvision)
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Hey, cool. Thanks for letting us know.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

Oh, and if you are willing to be a guinea pig....
If you enable the testing repo on your system under /etc/yum.repos.d and do a yum update, you will get a newer ffmpeg, newer vlc, and a new zoneminder package, which has been built against these newer packages.

It should just magically upgrade, but I have not tried it myself. Whenever I upgrade a package as complicated as ffmpeg, there is always a chance the upgrade might require a manual kick in the pants to work.

I would recommend against trying this on a production system until we've tested the upgrade.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
melloa

Post by melloa »

knnniggett wrote:Oh, and if you are willing to be a guinea pig....
If you enable the testing repo on your system under /etc/yum.repos.d and do a yum update, you will get a newer ffmpeg, newer vlc, and a new zoneminder package, which has been built against these newer packages.

It should just magically upgrade, but I have not tried it myself. Whenever I upgrade a package as complicated as ffmpeg, there is always a chance the upgrade might require a manual kick in the pants to work.

I would recommend against trying this on a production system until we've tested the upgrade.
Got the system message that the upgrade is available and am finishing a full back-up. Do I need to change my repos.d to the test one? If so please let me know url for it. Will try the upgrade anyways as I created an image for my installation and can always restore.
melloa

Post by melloa »

Upgrade finished. Log shows: 2016-08-04 07:47:03.900350 zmpkg 4958 FAT Version mismatch, system is version 1.30.0, database is 1.29.0, please run zmupdate.pl to update.
melloa

Post by melloa »

Running after db migration.

Note: zmupdate.pl displays: Upgrading to version 1.29.1 from 1.29 (Not exact words). Is it referring to the db version or ZM version? It may be misleading.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

melloa wrote:Upgrade finished. Log shows: 2016-08-04 07:47:03.900350 zmpkg 4958 FAT Version mismatch, system is version 1.30.0, database is 1.29.0, please run zmupdate.pl to update.
Try following the README instructions. ZoneMinder is guaranteed not to work if you don't.
Note: zmupdate.pl displays: Upgrading to version 1.29.1 from 1.29 (Not exact words). Is it referring to the db version or ZM version? It may be misleading.
dB schema version and software version are one and the same with this project.
melloa

Post by melloa »

knnniggett wrote:Try following the README instructions. ZoneMinder is guaranteed not to work if you don't.
Another classic case of RTFM?

I'm running as stated above after db migration, but I only did an yum update and the version was updated, so how should I know I had to run it to migrate the db? I maybe expecting too much from the update process, so keep me strait please as I'm only crawling on linux.
dB schema version and software version are one and the same with this project.
So ... was the version displayed incorrectly caused by my steps not following the above mentioned README? Or maybe the variables used to display the message are incorrect?

Again, only trying to learn and help in case there is a minor cosmetic change.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

melloa wrote: Another classic case of RTFM?
Yes, that's right. During the installation and upgrade process you were prompted, no less than three times, to follow the README instructions during any installation or upgrade. I can point them out to you if you want. I've done everything I know to alert you to follow the README, other than jump out of your screen and bop you on the head.

I get it that you might be new to Linux and this might seem overwhelming at first, but that is exactly why the README instructions are there. I don't think it is too much to ask to tell you to follow it before posting questions in the forum.
melloa wrote:was the version displayed incorrectly caused by my steps not following the above mentioned README?
Following an upgrade to a new version of ZoneMinder, there will always be a version mismatch between the newly upgraded application and the database. This is by design. The README steps you through correcting this, along with performing other checks.
melloa wrote:so how should I know I had to run it to migrate the db?
Well, let's take a look at that error message again.
FAT Version mismatch, system is version 1.30.0, database is 1.29.0, please run zmupdate.pl to update.
The message is telling you how to resolve the issue. What does it say to do?

The simple fact is the README instructions step you through everything necessary to perform a successful upgrade, including the critical step of updating the database. Failure to follow these steps is the root cause of the message you posted. I'm making a big deal out of this because you aren’t the only one to post a message like this. This happens far too often, and I don't want you, or anyone else, coming back here with the same issue, following another release of ZoneMinder.

If you are thinking things should be easier, I would completely agree with you. An installation and upgrade wizard, that refused to let you continue until you answered a few questions, would minimize upgrade issues. That feature is on our roadmap, and it simply waits for a volunteer with free time to write it. Until that happens, the README is the best thing we've got.
melloa

Post by melloa »

knnniggett wrote:
Yes, that's right. During the installation and upgrade process you were prompted, no less than three times, to follow the README instructions during any installation or upgrade. I can point them out to you if you want. I've done everything I know to alert you to follow the README, other than jump out of your screen and bop you on the head.
Sorry I've missed that. Thanks again for your help.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

UPDATE:
I have successfully run three tests with the new ffmpeg and vlc packages in zmrepo testing. They "yum updated"' perfectly.
I am going move these packages into production tomorrow, Sunday. That means you will see new ffmpeg, vlc, and zoneminder packages following the next yum update, beginning Sunday evening or Monday morning, depending on your timezone and when your yum cache expires.

There will be nothing new with this zoneminder package, other than it has been built against the newer ffmpeg & vlc packages. However, as always, please follow the upgrade steps in the README.