Reolink or Amcrest or Hikvision?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
zeb

Reolink or Amcrest or Hikvision?

Post by zeb »

Hi,

I am hesitating between two budget cameras:
An Amcrest with 3MP
https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Outdoor- ... B01BN1FD7E
or a Reolink with 4 MP
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Reolink ... ds=reolink
or Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-I
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017C45K2O

Note the Hikvision comes in 2.8mm and 4mm. Any advice on the correct focal?

The Reolink has a higher spec, but the Amcrest seems to have better reviews. However I am aware there are many fakes in general with these devices.
The Hikvision has also good reviews and samples on the net.

Also, I would like to use Zoneminder on a Linux machine, so want to have access to the live feeds via standard protocols (RTSP ?) This is where I am a bit confused. Amcrest have an RTSP feed, and are known to have a documented API. Reolink on the other hand is more closed. They say they do not support Zoneminder, that you have to use their software, etc. However I could read in several places that there was an RTSP feed as well. The Hikvision is working in Zoneminder according to the wiki.

Have anyone experience with these?
Martian

Re: Reolink or Amcrest or Hikvision?

Post by Martian »

I just installed a Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I which is very similar to the DS-2CD2142FWD-I only it is a turret style instead of a dome style which in theory has a better IR lamp and less glare from reflections off the dome. I purchased it from NetView via Amazon and it was a true US version with updatable firmware (although it shipped with the latest version installed). I had it configured and connected to my Debian 8.3 Virtual Machine running ZM via RTSP protocol in less than 10 minutes. I ordered the 2.8mm lens which has about a 90 degree FOV. I was concerned that the 4mm lens would be a little narrow but it would have been nice to have a little more resolution to the image further out. If you don't need the wider view I would go for the 4mm but make sure it covers your area of interest.
camseverywhereyo

Post by camseverywhereyo »

@Martian: Not OP, but thanks for the info. Could you let us know what resolution you have this cam running at in ZM? Most of the wikis for Hikvision cameras are set at 1280X720 which is a bit disappointing.
zeb

Post by zeb »

Thanks Martian for your advice. I have the same question, can you use it at its highest resolution in ZM?
thermionic

Post by thermionic »

I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2F42FWD-IWS and run it at 1920*1080 with zm1.29 , it will do 2688*1520, but as always the tradeoff between resolution and storage space, and I don;t have a 4k display to be able to look at it in full res...
camseverywhereyo

Post by camseverywhereyo »

@thermionic: what framerate are you getting in ZM with that cam? And is it the only cam in your setup?
jaywest

Post by jaywest »

I recently did an evaluation of video cameras for a company as an IT consultant. I wound up choosing the Reolink RLC-411WS (4mp, auto/manual optical zoom, 2560 x 1440, 30fps) out of a handful of other cameras, several of which are listed above.

Simply put - the picture quality of the Reolink RLC-411WS was "off the charts" compared to all the others. I had never seen a camera with that clear of a picture. We could literally read the letters off a guys shirt on the other side of the plant (about 40 yards). Nice wide angle, and remote control of the mechanical zoom was smooth. The autofocus was a bit slow, but acceptable.

I also just bought their RLC-423 (pretty much industrial quality ptz), and based on the experience with the 411WS I can't wait to put it through it's paces.

I was able to get the 411WS working on zoneminder at 2560x1440, 20fps, 6144 bitrate. I will say that the picture looks more clear using the direct web interface, but some dabbling with settings on the camera and zoneminder may help. Hopefully it's not a deficiency in zoneminder.

My only real concern is my perceived apathy that Reolink seems to show towards zoneminder/linux. Hopefully they will realize there is a market there and work better with the zoneminder community to report full compatibility.

Best,

JW
billchurch

Post by billchurch »

jaywest wrote:I also just bought their RLC-423 (pretty much industrial quality ptz), and based on the experience with the 411WS I can't wait to put it through it's paces.
I just bought the same one and got the initial configuration setup in ZM.

I found the attached settings to work pretty good for the video, but wondering if anyone was worked on the PTZ controls for this model yet. It is ONVIF compliant but I'm learning the ONVIF mode for control in ZM isn't ONVIF at all... :(

Any luck with this?

jaywest

Post by jaywest »

Bill - you should see the thread I started.... viewtopic.php?f=36&t=25594&p=97803#p97803

No replies yet... but I do have the protocol docs....
Dan12345

Post by Dan12345 »

Just to add, for anyone else trying to make the Reo-link work - I had to tick the "use RTSP response media URL" checkbox
Lanspa

Post by Lanspa »

Hello I have a question regarding reeling cameras how do the stack up against the others. I have been looking at them for awhile. My internet is OS X based and do not want a hard drive, what camera do you all suggest.