Lubuntu 16.04 with Zoneminder 1.29.0 for DVD or USB

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
bbunge

Lubuntu 16.04 with Zoneminder 1.29.0 for DVD or USB

Post by bbunge »

Lubuntu 16.04 with Zoneminder 1.29.0 pre-configured for DVD or USB is now available! Initially available as a torrent download (torrents attached). I will, in time, get it uploaded to my Google Drive account to share.
32 BIT torrent
Live-XX-32.torrent
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
64 BIT torrent
Live-XX-64.torrent
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
Please leave your torrent app running to seed these for others!

WIKI page with instructions: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Lubuntu_16. ... _CD_or_USB

As with the 14.04 version this has an installer so you can create an operating Zoneminder system without having to do a lot of set up. I did decide to replace MySQL 5.7 with Mariadb 10.

Enjoy!

bb
bbunge

Re: Lubuntu 16.04 with Zoneminder 1.29.0 for DVD or USB

Post by bbunge »

I've discovered a couple of typos in the original readme file which have been corrected in the WIKI article.

Also there is an issue where the installer will crash. The fix is to run the installer with root privileges. See WIKI:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Lubuntu_16. ... _CD_or_USB
segordon

Post by segordon »

Hi there,

Works great until first

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

2016-05-09 10:56:21.226280	zms		1618	ERR	Can't use query result:	zm_monitor.cpp	2704
2016-05-09 10:56:21.224680	zms		1618	ERR	Bogus number of lines return from query, 0 returned for query select Id, Name, ServerId, Type, Function+0, Enabled, LinkedMonitors, Device, Channel, Format, V4LMultiBuffer, V4LCapturesPerFrame, Protocol, Method, Host, Port, Path, Options, User, Pass, Width, Height, Colours, Palette, Orientation+0, Deinterlacing, RTSPDescribe, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Colour, EventPrefix, LabelFormat, LabelX, LabelY, LabelSize, ImageBufferCount, WarmupCount, PreEventCount, PostEventCount, StreamReplayBuffer, AlarmFrameCount, SectionLength, FrameSkip, MotionFrameSkip, AnalysisFPS, AnalysisUpdateDelay, MaxFPS, AlarmMaxFPS, FPSReportInterval, RefBlendPerc, AlarmRefBlendPerc, TrackMotion, SignalCheckColour, Exif from Monitors where Id = 4.	zm_db.cpp	102
2016-05-09 10:56:21.224411	zms		1620	ERR	Can't use query result:	zm_monitor.cpp	2704
is appearing every few seconds in the logs and events are no longer being recorded. The sample monitor included with the ZM setup on this iso is still outputting video.

Happens to both live-usb or installed HDD copy for me.

Let me know if I can provide logs or data. This is being ran on a VM with 4G memory, 20G storage, 4 cores on a 32 virtual core machine, QEMU/KVM, virtio for storage and NIC.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

There seems to be an issue with the network not getting DNS servers. Quick fix is to edit /etc/resolv.conf and place at least one entry for your network:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Or, create the symbolic link to the resolv.conf as follows: ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I was then able to run:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

My test was done on a VirtualBox machine. Install icon from the DVD was modified to run as root.
segordon

Post by segordon »

My DNS stuff looked okay, and included my local network by default. I tried both ideas of yours with no luck.

I should have been more clear; internet access is A-OK, apt-get update and upgrade both work okay, they just result in a broken ZM install that is outputting that stuff I posted earlier. The machine pings loud and clear to the net and to the machines on my net.

ZM doesn't break until the first apt-get update/upgrade. It installs to HDD fine from iso and the log is clean until the first system wide update (speculation: as if a component within that update is perhaps causing an issue? although probably not if you're able to update and keep everything working cleanly on the same iso.)

/etc/hosts :

127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.1.1       zoneminder

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf :

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.1.1
search home
Next i'm going to try to just statically assign the machine in /etc/network/interfaces ; (right now the IP is being assigned via DHCP on the router but with a static IP) and see if it changes anything by forcing the DNS servers along with the interface.

Update : no dice. rolling a static inet interface with default nameservers in /etc/network/interfaces doesn't help matters.

I'm going to next try a clean install on an ubuntu server iso and see if the results are the same. I'm sure it's my setup somewhere if you're not encountering anything like this, just gotta figure out what it is exactly.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Did you by chance run the install with root (sudo) access?

sudo sh -c 'ubiquity gtk_ui'
segordon

Post by segordon »

bbunge wrote:Did you by chance run the install with root (sudo) access?

Yes, but I went about it a different way

sudo ubiquity
install went smoothly and post-install net access was OK on internal LAN and pinging google.com.

I'll retry with

if you'd care for me to, although I did not see any indication that the setup err'd.
segordon

Post by segordon »

I have verified that this begins occurring at the setting of a static IP now. DHCP assigned by router keeps the logs clean, if I touch the ip address via the router DHCP assignment or by assigning an address in /etc/network/interfaces I start having issues.

Weird. Any clue how I could go about discovering what the problem is?

update : I assigned a different static IP to it and everything looks ok. The address I previously used should not have conflicted in any way, but it sure acted like it did.

Assignment to 192.168.1.20 was causing problems, but 192.168.1.15 seems dandy. Strange stuff considering I don't have any other machines on those addresses.. but after a day of tinkering with this problem i'm glad it's done with.