Best way to feed a Windows USB webcam to ZoneMinder

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
The_Penguin

Best way to feed a Windows USB webcam to ZoneMinder

Post by The_Penguin »

Hi all. I just returned to using ZoneMinder having used it quite a few years ago with an Osprey(?) video capture card and a cheap video cam.

We wanted to be able to keep an eye on one of our dogs who was recovering from major surgery, and ZoneMinder was my first choice. Set it up on a spare Centos box, and it went together almost painlessly (had to CPAN a few Perl modules, but otherwise was trouble-free)
I'm using a pair of Trendnet IP110W IP cams and a Dlink DCS930L IP cam (not very good on WiFi...)
Everything's working great. Our dog is doing great, and now we're hooked on being able to look in on the house remotely, and look at motion events.

I also have a decent quality Logitech USB webcam. I'd like to have it plugged in to one of my Windows boxes, and feed it to ZoneMinder. It's too far from the ZoneMinder server. I'm wondering what the best way to do this is. I tried Dorgem, and it works, but seems a bit inefficient, is there a better option?

Thanks!
The_Penguin

Re: Best way to feed a Windows USB webcam to ZoneMinder

Post by The_Penguin »

Gonna bump this once, just in case :)

This is still working for me, but is a bit annoying, just wondering if there's a better way.
tortoise74

Post by tortoise74 »

Bump.

I haven't got my basic ZoneMinder set-up to work yet but this will be the next question I'll ask.
It sounds like it ought to be FAQ.
Given that most laptops have built-in webcams these days. It would be nice to hook into this for guarding the laptop this way.
TylerSchwend

Post by TylerSchwend »

I'd probably go with VLC... Look for a tutorial on how to STREAM with VLC.
piri

Post by piri »

I see that you have got the DLink DSC930L working with Zone Minder, I can not get mine to work ! are you able to share you config with me, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Piri
ekinodermata

Post by ekinodermata »

i'm sorry could you share your dcs930l config to me.? i found some issue on my config.
thanks