audio recording support

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
Nerre

Re: audio recording support

Post by Nerre »

As I wrote before: If/when ZM is rewritten to record video, recording audio will most likely come "at the same price".

But today ZM does not record video, ZM saves JPEG images.
shinji2009

Post by shinji2009 »

is that so?? o_O but why is this written on the homepage "It supports capture, analysis, recording, and monitoring of video data" and "Recent versions of ZoneMinder also include optional DVR (digital video recorder) functions allowing you to pause, rewind and even digitally zoom both live and historical video." and so on ?
Nerre

Post by Nerre »

It is probably mostly a matter of differences in what is considered to be "video" and "video data".

From what I understand: image analysis in ZM works with JPEG images, events are stored as JPEG images, event playback makes a video stream from those JPEG images.
shinji2009

Post by shinji2009 »

right now i am experiencing a lack of english words to express how frustrated i am)
FrAllard

Post by FrAllard »

I know it is a little bit later after the last post, but here what will be my solution to sound recording. (Said will because I'm waiting on my cameras)

The cameras I choose are Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS and they have the ability to directly record to a NAS. So I will be recording the sub-stream with audio to my NAS and ZM will do its thing of actually detect motion that matter in high resolution. Then when an event occur and I need to have the sound I will go into my camera and look for the low resolution recording that include the sound.

I know it is not pretty, but for my residential usage that's going to be enough.

The substream will consume a maximum 1024 kbps which will result in about 11 GB of video files per day per camera if they record 24/7, I will decide later if I will let the camera record on motion only to limit the amount of data. Also using VBR will probably not use all the 1024 kbps all the time.
noise

Post by noise »

Hi at All

i hope this feature comes in the near future :?:
nosferatu

Post by nosferatu »

I am new to zoneminder, having been a BlueIris user for many years.
I have IP cams capable of doing audio and video (DLINK DCS 930L cams). These work great in BlueIris, but I was shocked to find that zoneminder does not seem to support audio at all.

I know my cams are sending audio, albeit as a separate stream from the video. Video is sent as /video.cgi or /mjpeg.cgi. Audio is send as /audio.cgi. Unfortunately, these cams do not have the ability to send h264 which might combine the audio and video, It would be a nice enhancement to zoneminder to add the option of specifying an audio stream path that could be saved along with the video. That would probably be simpler than having zoneminder transcode the video and audio streams into an h264 stream or another format. I'm not sure how BlueIris does it, but I think they do transcoding since the resulting saved video is in a proprietary pvr (bvr) format that includes video and audio. BlueIris also has the option of exporting recorded video as mp4 which also includes audio with the video.
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

The ability to directly record H.264 is, I'm told, in git; it's tentatively going to be tagged into 1.31.x, Real Soon Now. It will include audio, unless you tell it not to (or possibly if you tell it to; I don't have it built), and yes, in many jurisdictions that will trigger a regulatory requirement for you to sign the areas where cameras are.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Current master should record audio. I have had a few test cases with weird cameras that I need to merge to it, but basically, audio recording works in the current master development build, which will (when released) be 1.32.0. Currently it is marked as 1.31.1.

Older cameras that don't do audio in the same stream are not supported at this time, and probably won't be unless someone puts up cash. I actually have cameras like that, but with the price of modern cameras, it's just not worth it to develop.

For modern cameras, audio record works. The currently master dev branch is fairly stable, and can be tested without fear of destroying your ZM install.
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

1.32. I sit corrected.

Will 1.31.x not be released?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I think the current idea is that when we release we bump the version to an even #. We might change our mind, or I might be wrong. The point is, it's how we tell the difference between versions.
petekat03

Post by petekat03 »

+1

Continuous/trigger record for a selected audio source (line-in, mic, rtsp, etc) with timestamp that can be reviewed like any other Zoneminder event.

Looking into a way of setting up a cockpit voice recorder (blackbox) with multiple audio/video channels (monitors) for a commercial flight simulator.

To be able to create audio "monitors" on Zoneminder would be awesome.

Could use a similar idea to video using jpeg, where audio could be small lame mp3, x seconds/minute sized chunks at a selected sample rate and bit rate.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

This might actually be doable now with master branch. The ffmpeg input type will probably accept an audio device. Just have to lookup the syntax. It would then record to MP4.