Failed to set video standard 45056: Device or resource busy

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
orsty3001

Post by orsty3001 »

I'm running 1.28.1 on slackware 14.1. No video will display on the cameras connected to the DVR card. /dev/video0 to /dev/video3 all give the same error.
I'm able to output the video to a file using ffmepg.

I tried lsof and all video outputs return nothing.

Apache is in the video usergroup.

For some reason Zoneminder thinks the DVR card is busy but everything else can use it without a problem.

Not sure what to do from this point.
tuxmos

Re: Failed to set video standard 45056: Device or resource busy

Post by tuxmos »

Hello. Is this a TW68 based Card. I have the same Problem with this Card Type on Ubuntu 14.04 Kernel 3.19 and tw68 kernel driver.
bevor with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and extra tw68 driver from gitorious works great.
i replased the tw68 Card with a bt878 Card and it works.
but the tw68 Card is the better one.
ffmpeg (ffserver) works with tw68, but zoneminder have this Problem
orsty3001

Post by orsty3001 »

I don't get it. This card works with every other program on this machine so the driver should be fine. It's just ZM that won't access this card.
tuxmos

Post by tuxmos »

Can you post the Output from lsmod?
orsty3001

Post by orsty3001 »

tw68 16103 0
videobuf2_dma_sg 8372 1 tw68
videobuf2_core 34906 1 tw68
v4l2_common 3093 2 tw68,videobuf2_core
videodev 124853 3 tw68,v4l2_common,videobuf2_core
tuxmos

Post by tuxmos »

OK. The tw68 Kerneldriver is the Problem with Zoneminder.
Or Zoneminder instructions to v4l2 driver are different as the ffmpeg instructions to v4l2. ???
orsty3001

Post by orsty3001 »

That's possible. I guess it's time to start ditching these DVR cards and replacing what analogue cameras I have left with IP cameras. ZoneMinder might be moving away from older hardware like this.
the_ccm

Post by the_ccm »

Hi,

same problem here with TW6804. Had no problem with kernel 3.2.0, but after moving to 4.2.7 I have the same error. Keep in mind that tw68 module has been totally rewritten and integrated into kernel source, which was not the cas before.

But any help would be appreciated, I have 4 analog camera on my Techwell card and it would be anoying to replace all these cameras.
orsty3001

Post by orsty3001 »

Replacing the card or going to IP cameras is the only solution at this point or going back to a older kernel. There is something going on with the new driver that only ZM doesn't like. It works fine with all other programs including streaming video using ffmepg.
tuxmos

Post by tuxmos »

So the question is: What makes ZoneMinder different?
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

orsty3001 wrote:Replacing the card or going to IP cameras is the only solution at this point or going back to a older kernel. There is something going on with the new driver that only ZM doesn't like. It works fine with all other programs including streaming video using ffmepg.
No, there is another...
Keep your analog cameras, but replace the capture card with an IP video encoder. They work great.
At least in the midwestern USA, the commercial industry has completely moved away from analog equipment.
At my $dayjob, we have not sold a new analog system in quite some time.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
the_ccm

Post by the_ccm »

A good solution would be to not spend again money especially if it is a bug in zoneminder and/or in the tw68 module....
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

the_ccm wrote:A good solution would be to not spend again money especially if it is a bug in zoneminder and/or in the tw68 module....
DVR Capture cards are obsolete technology. The only person I know who still uses these cards and might be able to fix the short term problem is iconnor. However, your expectation that he is just going to fix it for free on his own time, out of the kindness of his heart, isn't what I'd call realistic.

We are all volunteers here, and we all have much more work to do than time allows. If you want him to prioritize fixing this above his other action items, then creating a reasonable Bounty for github issue #733 is a good way to do that. That of course goes against your statement about spending money.

If your time spent installing software is not as important to you as spending money, then another option would be to find an old version of Linux, coupled with an old version of ZoneMinder, which works with your card. Then don't upgrade it. Ever.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
orsty3001

Post by orsty3001 »

knnniggett wrote:
orsty3001 wrote:Replacing the card or going to IP cameras is the only solution at this point or going back to a older kernel. There is something going on with the new driver that only ZM doesn't like. It works fine with all other programs including streaming video using ffmepg.
No, there is another...
Keep your analog cameras, but replace the capture card with an IP video encoder. They work great.
At least in the midwestern USA, the commercial industry has completely moved away from analog equipment.
At my $dayjob, we have not sold a new analog system in quite some time.
IP cameras would be cheaper.
knight-of-ni

Post by knight-of-ni »

orsty3001 wrote: IP cameras would be cheaper.
The last video encoder I bought was a Grandstream GXV3504 4 channel IP Video Encoder.
It was $119 shipped.

You would have to pay $29.75 per ip camera, shipped, in order to match that price. Additionally, you would have to pull all new cable where the video encoder would simply use the existing coax.

The only reason to upgrade an existing analog camera to an IP camera is to achieve much better image resolution. It isn't price.