zmNinja for desktops

Discussion topics related to mobile applications and ZoneMinder Event Server (including machine learning)
asker

Re: zmNinja for desktops

Post by asker »

This means you don't have php5-gd installed. Check your Apache error logs and looks for image scale errors.

If that's the case look at the patch abi submitted above --> try and replace image.php with this file https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abish ... /image.php
--> its in web/views folder

Also the latest version is 0.87D with multi server support.

Simpler wrote:I'm trying out zmNinja on Linux Mint 17.2 with ZoneMinder 1.28.107. Most seems to be working well and looks great, but for some reason when I do a "Quick Scrub" or "View Footage" on an event, I only see a generic image of camera with a red question mark.

I can view the events in ZoneMinder, but not in zmNinja.

I turned on the debug switch in zmNinja and the top of the log file has the following:

Code: Select all

version:0.86.1D

Nov 15, 2015 7:09:34 PM INFO Stream authentication construction: 
Nov 15, 2015 7:09:34 PM INFO Data Model: Did not find any  stream mode of auth
Nov 15, 2015 7:09:34 PM INFO DataModel: Did not find a stream auth key, looking for user=
Nov 15, 2015 7:09:33 PM INFO Got API version: 1.28.107
Nov 15, 2015 7:09:33 PM INFO ZM_EVENT_IMAGE_DIGITS is 5
Nov 15, 2015 7:09:33 PM DEBUG DataModel: Getting auth from http://localhost/zm/index.php?view=watch
I'm not sure if that is relevant?
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
abi

Post by abi »

I'm evaluating zmNinja client and this is my first experience with zmNinja. It looks awesome, and it's a huge leap compared with vanilla ZM interface. However, I find some things rather frustrating (maybe I just not figured out how to interpreter them), so I'd like to share my experience. As for testing, zmNinja works on my W7 machine and on Arch Linux without any issues

1. Montage window looks finished and very easy to work with. However, if program window is maximized, my camera output is scaled by width. Image not only upscaled and looks ugly, but I must scroll Y coordinate, as it doesn't fit widescreen monitors. This behaviour is standard for all views.
2. Timeline is limited to 200 last events. I understand such limitation for default view to preserve resources, but this is very confusing if I set timeframe manually (say, for 1 day). http://i.imgur.com/TA4VMUt.png (I use mocord mode).
3. Events. For mocord mode it looks mostly useless. From my point of view, it lacks tumbnails and button to hide events without alarm frames.
Footage with small (for example, 5% event image scaling) is upscaled as well. As we have 'fit button', maybe we should never upscale images? http://i.imgur.com/pMEBUpC.png and it is not fitting window by Y coordinate
asker

Post by asker »

Abi thanks - truth be told, I never intended zmNinja for desktops at all. It's primarily a mobile app and the desktop versions was a complete afterthought. I was surprised it even worked. To that extent, my priority is not to tweak things for desktop unless its very easy and will only happen once I have time.

All your feedback is valid.
a) the limit of 200 is primarily for mobile devices --> vis.js slows to a crawl beyond that --> I will remove it for desktop builds in future
b) Good point on mocord - given I use modect I don't face this. I will add an option to only show events with alarmed frames - good idea
c) Don't use 5% if you want full screen - stick to 100% :-)
d) I can't show thumbnails -- zmNinja uses APIs and not direct file access (like the web console has the advantage of). Asking for thumbnails along with event information will be a significant performance issue as the list grows especially since I am supporting infinite-scroll and its a mobile device. This is not a problem for desktops

Can you please start using github issues for zmNinja and please mark desktop specific things as desktop specific in the issue title.

Appreciate your feedback. I'll work on items that I think apply equally to mobile and desktops and then with time left, work on desktop only features.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
abi

Post by abi »

Sure, I'll open feature requests on Github.
As for 5% scale it was extreme setting for illustration purpose only. :) Actually, 100% scale has issue too - at least on desktop, height is not checked, so image is fitted to width and I must scroll it as it doesn't fit the screen.

I understand that this project is not desktop-centric and developed in spare time, but you asked for feedback :mrgreen:
asker

Post by asker »

Thanks abi. And yes, I did ask for feedback and all your feedback is spot-on. I'll implement as many of them as I can.

abi wrote:Sure, I'll open feature requests on Github.
As for 5% scale it was extreme setting for illustration purpose only. :) Actually, 100% scale has issue too - at least on desktop, height is not checked, so image is fitted to width and I must scroll it as it doesn't fit the screen.

I understand that this project is not desktop-centric and developed in spare time, but you asked for feedback :mrgreen:

ES docs
zmNinja docs
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

Just downloaded the current zmNinja-linux64bit package. Getting logged in is working, I can see all the monitors. Viewing events is working nicely. I replaced the image.php script. The timeline works as well and brings up events when clicked on.

Live view from the list of monitors just brings up the camera/question mark icon. Same thing in montage view.

If these issues are strictly linux-desktop issues I'll try getting the IOS version on my iPad and iPhone next.
asker

Post by asker »

This means your cgi-path in zmNinja is not correct. Please check your debug logs and please post what PATH_ZMS is vs. what you've set.
In general, its always a good idea to go to your debug logs and post relevant information from there.

Abi posted an issue here https://github.com/pliablepixels/zmNinja/issues/92 -- seems zm-repo uses cgi-bin-zm --> this will cause a problem with zmNinja as I am adding cgi-bin myself. I'll remove this in the next version so you can put in the full path yourself. If that's the problem then please wait till the next version. Or, if abi figured out a way to stop zmNinja from being oversmart - he can let us know.

I'm currently working on getting user-roles working with the API so it may take a day or two.

BiloxiGeek wrote:Just downloaded the current zmNinja-linux64bit package. Getting logged in is working, I can see all the monitors. Viewing events is working nicely. I replaced the image.php script. The timeline works as well and brings up events when clicked on.

Live view from the list of monitors just brings up the camera/question mark icon. Same thing in montage view.

If these issues are strictly linux-desktop issues I'll try getting the IOS version on my iPad and iPhone next.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

I can wait a bit. I've been using the web interface in Safari on my IOS devices for a good long time so I'm not missing anything at least. Just looking forward to a bit cleaner interface with zmNinja.
abi

Post by abi »

I edited /etc/httpd/conf.d/zm.conf and pointed alias to /cgi-bin
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

abi wrote:I edited /etc/httpd/conf.d/zm.conf and pointed alias to /cgi-bin
I tried the same, but didn't seem to change the behavior for me. I restarted both zm and httpd.
abi

Post by abi »

Have you checked that video on web interface still works ? You must change path there as well. If video is not available, default apache config is messing with cgi-bin. You should check default httpd.conf file.

When web interface works, actually, there are no reasons for zmNinja not to work - the only 1 mistake one can do is to point it to wrong path.
https://youserver/zm for zmNinja connectivity and https://youserver for image server (cgi-bin is attached to /)
asker

Post by asker »

New release uploaded 0.87.1D - please read changelog. Refer to first post in this thread

ES docs
zmNinja docs
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I had the same exact problem with the 32bit Linux version on Puppy Linux. The New release 0.87.1D. is working completely, video streams included.
Puppy Linux Tahr 6.0.3
ZoneMinder 1.28.109
asker

Post by asker »

New version 0.87.2 released, but please don't download it yet. Please wait for 24 hours (at most) and see if you see a "new version available" when you tap the menu button (you need to be on 0.87.1) for this. I haven't tested the update code.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

I've got 0.87.1, is there a particular time frame you expect that the IOS version should notice the update?