Nighttime motion detection requires extreme sensitivity...?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
McFuzz

Nighttime motion detection requires extreme sensitivity...?

Post by McFuzz »

Hi all,

I recently upgraded from 1.28.1 to 1.28.107 (from debian to ubuntu as well) and noticed that the same camera with more or less the same parameters has almost no nighttime motion detection in .107 vs what it had in .1.

For example:

In the pic above, the entire 'white' wall where the doorbell is its own zone, the door is its own zone, and a 3x2 foot section of the floor (from the door to the brick column thing is it's own zone). I have to set the sensitivity up to the following settings in order for motion detection to be captured during the night:

You get the idea...

The end result is that night time detection is excellent - but in the day time, a slight shift in sunlight, a moth flying by, a momentary shadow from a cloud - zoneminder explodes with alerts and warnings... This was not the case in my old install :\

Any ideas/suggestions?
knight-of-ni

Re: Nighttime motion detection requires extreme sensitivity.

Post by knight-of-ni »

Without comparing real quantitative motion detection data between 1.28.1 on Debain and 1.28.107 on Ubuntu, I'm not sure anyone can answer your question with precision. Are you sure you are using the exact same motion detection settings between the two systems?

However, I can say that it is quite normal, for any surveillance system, to tweak your motion detection settings for one time of the day, weather conditions, etc only to find that at another time, or weather condition, the system records many false alarms. You either need to experimentally find a compromise that works well enough for most times of the day or use run states to change your motion settings for different times of the day.
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Am curious...what version of Debian/MySQL did you have and which version of Ubuntu/MySQL did you end up with?

I am running Ubuntu 14.04-3 with MySQL 5.6 and ZM 1.28.107 and have noticed some performance increase and load decrease. Research tells me it may be the improvements from 5.5 to 5.6.

bb
McFuzz

Post by McFuzz »

bbunge wrote:Am curious...what version of Debian/MySQL did you have and which version of Ubuntu/MySQL did you end up with?

I am running Ubuntu 14.04-3 with MySQL 5.6 and ZM 1.28.107 and have noticed some performance increase and load decrease. Research tells me it may be the improvements from 5.5 to 5.6.

bb

Hm - I was on Debian 7 with 5.5 and right now I am on ubuntu 14.04 with mysql 5.5.44... is there an official 5.6 release?

Also - I wish I could have the data from the debian install I had - however unfortunately this upgrade to 14.04 was a forced one since my RAID controller decided to crap out and kill all my arrays in my VM server. Talk about a bummer... but I got it recovered more or less.

I'll try to play with sensitivity some more and see if I can get a compromise. It does seem like there's a very fine line between working at night and not working :(