New Real time Event Notification Service for ZM

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
asker

New Real time Event Notification Service for ZM

Post by asker »

What is it?

A secure web socket based event notification system to report new events in real time.
Ties into ZM authentication

As of Oct 24 2015, version 0.3 also fully supports APNS/GCM if you write your own app that needs them. If you are using zmNinja, all the push work is already done for you. Read the README for the event server.

Why do we need it?

using filters to report events is far from real time

Who uses it?

You are supposed to use it with your own app. But zmNinja uses it too. Demo HERE

Awesome, what can it do, how do I use it, how do I install it, is the moon blue today?

Answers to all your questions HERE
Last edited by asker on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

Please read before posting:
How to set up logging properly
How to troubleshoot and report - ES
How to troubleshoot and report - zmNinja
ES docs
zmNinja docs
aaronl

Re: New Real time Event Notification Service for ZM

Post by aaronl »

Is this a requirement for zmNinja, or just recommended?
asker

Post by asker »

aaronl wrote:Is this a requirement for zmNinja, or just recommended?
Neither required nor recommended - strictly optional :-)
I no longer work on zmNinja, zmeventnotification, pyzm or mlapi. I may respond on occasion based on my available time/interest.

ES docs
zmNinja docs
asker

Post by asker »

I've just released a new version of the Event Server (0.2). It's currently in the "experimental" branch. Will be migrated to stable branch soon
https://github.com/pliablepixels/zmeven ... perimental

New features:
  • you can now register specific monitors for which events will be broadcasted
  • Supports iOS APNS fully - however its of no use to you unless you have an iOS developer account - you will need to re-compile zmNinja as well using your Push certificates. Like I said before, this won't change unless I host my own push server at my own cost.
  • new commands added and JSON normalized further - see README

ES docs
zmNinja docs
segordon

Post by segordon »

Here's a project I started last night which works in conjunction with the real time event server.

It allows me to receive those alerts on my desktop, and optionally open them for review in my web browser.

It's crude, but it works. I'll be smoothing out the rough edges in the next few days.

Multi-platform support in the works.

https://github.com/segordon/zm-tattletale
asker

Post by asker »

Very nice!

ES docs
zmNinja docs
kenneth558

Post by kenneth558 »

Work on other aspects of my system has kept me from finding this out for myself:
Judging from the settings of average score among others, my guess is that an alert can not get emailed until the event [that triggered my emailing filter] is completely ended, am I right? IOW, if an event that matches my filter to email me continues on for a long time before ending, my guess is that ZM is unable to notify me for that "long time". Can someone confirm or deny my suspicions?

If my suspicions are correct, does this improvement, the one this thread is about, improve that ZM 'flaw' (as I see it, anyway)?
Last edited by kenneth558 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
segordon

Post by segordon »

segordon wrote:Here's a project I started last night which works in conjunction with the real time event server.

It allows me to receive those alerts on my desktop, and optionally open them for review in my web browser.

https://github.com/segordon/zm-tattletale

Re-wrote it with options for logging to file, alerting with sound files, alerting with dialog windows, and timestamps. More features on the way. Also it's now pretty multi-platform friendly.
asker

Post by asker »

Kenneth, Zoneminder updates an event the moment it occurs - it does not wait till the end.
The real time event server also detects this and reports it right away - so its immediate.

If you are referring to filters, I haven't looked at the code - but its somewhat unrelated to how the event server works.
kenneth558 wrote:Work on other aspects of my system has kept me from finding this out for myself:
Judging from the settings of average score among others, my guess is that an alert can not get emailed until the event [that triggered my emailing filter] is completely ended, am I right? IOW, if an event that matches my filter to email me continues on for a long time before ending, my guess is that ZM is unable to notify me for that "long time". Can someone confirm or deny my suspicions?

If my suspicions are correct, does this improvement, the one this thread is about, improve that ZM 'flaw' (as I see it, anyway)?

ES docs
zmNinja docs
mrd

Post by mrd »

Is this included in the most recent release of ZM now?
MRD
asker

Post by asker »

mrd wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:05 am Is this included in the most recent release of ZM now?
No. Recent versions of ZM have an option to auto-enable it on ZM start, but the installation process is separate.
Start here https://zmeventnotification.readthedocs ... stall.html

ES docs
zmNinja docs
mrd

Post by mrd »

Thanks!
MRD