Change FPS after motion detection?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
LookAtTheBirdy

Change FPS after motion detection?

Post by LookAtTheBirdy »

I'm a total newbie - forgive me for my ignorance! I looked through the titles of many posts and the FAQ but I don't have a clear understanding.

Can I setup Zoneminder to capture at one frame rate, say 1FPS without an alarm, but change to another frame rate, say 15FPS while an alarm is going off from change detection?

If this is possible, can you tell me how to do it or where to find information on how to do this?

Thanks!!!
knight-of-ni

Re: Change FPS after motion detection?

Post by knight-of-ni »

ZoneMinder has no control over the stream the IP camera sends to it, so this feature is not directly possible.

However, the following gets what you want at the cost of additional storage space, bandwidth, and cpu resources:
Create two monitors for the same camera. One at a low frame and another at a higher frame rate. Your camera needs to support dual streaming, and you may have to use a slightly different URL for each stream. See your camera's documentation.

Enable motion detection on the low frame camera, and set it to trigger recording on the higher frame rate camera (link them together).
Visit my blog for ZoneMinder related projects using the Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, and the ESP8266
All of these can be found at https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/
OhmMega

Post by OhmMega »

In the misc tab of the monitor config there is an option for motion frame skip. Initial testing shows that it works. Although I haven't messed with it much yet.

My camera is set to ~30fps stream. Frame skip is 10 and motion frame skip is 0. Set to Mocord.
Pain is only an illusion...
wambs

Post by wambs »

Hi,

I updated 2 of my cameras that were running 1920x1080 at 10 fps, in Mocord and filling my disks quickly to use the frame skip idea.

I set the frame skip to 5, so in no alarms events i usual got 2 fps, but when motion was detected the fps went higher.

But not to 10 fps, but it varied a bit from 5 to 10 fps after the motion events.

Unfortunately prior to the motion event, the fps capture rate was still only 2 fps. I was hoping that it would use the buffer pool, currently set at 100, and capture the previous 25 frames at the alarm rate. Is this a bug? I was thinking the zmc process was still collecting at the camera rate, 10 fps. So, should the zma process should be able to save the previous 25 frames?

If the previous frames can be captured, then this is a nice way to reduce disk space and processing time, i.e. the zma process.

Kevin