Blue screens and slow computer

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
Alb

Blue screens and slow computer

Post by Alb »

I have Zoneminder with 2 Logitech Sphere webcams.

After the new setup all is well for a while but after half a day I have this problem that the screen of the cameras goes blue half of the time when it's on Modect. On Monitor the screen is fine.

Can this problem be solved?

The other thing is that the PC gets very slow. It's a Pentium 4 with mint 13. This is caused by mysql which pushes the CPU to more that 90%. This high CPU load starts as soon as I add the first camera in Zoneminder.

Hoping for some good advice.
TheKorn

Re: Blue screens and slow computer

Post by TheKorn »

Alb wrote:I have Zoneminder with 2 Logitech Sphere webcams.

After the new setup all is well for a while but after half a day I have this problem that the screen of the cameras goes blue half of the time when it's on Modect. On Monitor the screen is fine.

Can this problem be solved?

The other thing is that the PC gets very slow. It's a Pentium 4 with mint 13. This is caused by mysql which pushes the CPU to more that 90%. This high CPU load starts as soon as I add the first camera in Zoneminder.
Sounds like you're running out of horsepower and/or something is wrong with mysql. (Or something wrong with zm, which is then causing problems with mysql.) Do you have lots of debugging turned on?

Also, try lowering the resolution and/or frame rate and see if that makes things better. (What resolution & frame rate do you have the cameras running?)
Alb

Post by Alb »

I have re-done the total installationprocess a couple of times so I don't think something's wrong with mysql or ZM.

I haven't made changes in the Debugging. Can this use a lot of power? What can I do to reduce the CPU load caused by this?

In the System-log I do get the known "Shared data size conflict"-error. I tried the fix in line 130 of Memory.pm but that didn't have any result.

The cameras are running 640x480 pixels and I didn't limit the framerate. In mjpg_streamer they are set on 30 fps.
I will try to lower those.
I have also tried to go to greyscale but then I get a black screen.
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

30 fps is high for a security camera. Try 10 fps to start. I have mine set at 15; I can run them at 30 but the extra frames don't actually get me much vs. the cpu needed, so I backed them down.
Alb

[SOLVED] Blue screens and slow computer

Post by Alb »

In Options/Logging I’ve set the LOG_LEVEL-SYSLOG and LOG-LEVEL-DATABASE to none. That made the Log disappear from the console. Now that the Log-book isn’t working anymore the load is at a much lower level and CPU-use of mysqld has gone from 95% to less than 1%.

Zoneminder is working perfectly and responding as it should. The live view is perfect and there are no more blue screen.

I have counted the frame-rate in the live view and it didn’t get higher than 4 (it was about 33 frames in 10 seconds). So I set the frame-rate in mjpg_streamer at 4. In the monitor-settings of ZM I didn’t put anything at Maximum FPS, because when I tried that I noticed that there was a huge delay between the actual event and the live view at the ZM screen.

Thanks for your advise!