Camera Settings for D-link DCS942L

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.27.x releases only.
rodeored

Camera Settings for D-link DCS942L

Post by rodeored »

I finally got zoneminder service running, now I'm trying to get the camera to run. The camera, D-link DCS943L is listed on the Hardware page with only 2 settings:
Source Type: ffmpeg
Source Path: rtsp://<camera ip>:554/play2.sdp

The source path I'm using is rtsp://198.168.000.007:554/play2.sdp
I have the camera hooked directly to my router, and the ip in the source path is the ip of the camera in the router. Is that the intended set up to go with these settings? I'm confused because the path includes an ip address but the source type is not network.

The word monitor is a link and I can click on it to and I can see little blue and red boxes, but no images.
Function is set to "monitor".

I know the camera works because I can hook it up to my windows computer.

When I click on probe from the localhost webpage, it doesn't detect the camera.
What else can I check?

I'm also confused about the device path.
I have some kind of thing, which is neither a file or a directory at /dev/video0 but when I try to read it with
zmu -d video0 -q -v
it says: failed to query crop capabilities video0 : success
Last edited by rodeored on Wed May 07, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodeored

Re: Camera Settings for D-link DCS943L

Post by rodeored »

I'm still trying to get my camera settings.
The documentation says:
run zmu -d <device_path> -q -v to get a dump of the settings (note, you will have to additionally supply a username and password to zmu if you are running in authenticated mode). You can then enter these values into the video related options of the monitor configuration panel. The '<device_path>' referred to here is the path to your video device file, for instance /dev/video0 etc. If 'zmu' gives you an error related to permissions run zmfix -a to make sure you can access all the video devices.

How do I find out where my video device file is? I do have /dev/video0 but I also have /dev/video1
Is there something I have to do to set that file up with my camera or does it just come with the operating system?

What is meant by "authenticated mode"? Is that referring to the username/password of the camera?
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

I'm beginning to suspect that the camera settings are not the whole problem.
On localhost/zm/index.php is a link to "log" which leads to localhost/zm/index.php?view=log which shows other assorted problems.
I'll start a new thread if I need help with those.
mikb

Post by mikb »

rodeored wrote:The camera, D-link DCS943L ... ip address ...

I'm also confused about the device path.
I have some kind of thing, which is neither a file or a directory at /dev/video0 but when I try to read it with
zmu -d video0 -q -v
it says: failed to query crop capabilities video0 : success
Can't answer your problem, but :-

/dev/video0 is a local capture card (analogue, digital TV, USB stick tuner maybe or something similar) and is nothing to do with your IP Camera. IP cameras never (?) show up as /dev/anything.

Don't get confused trying to chase problems with an irrelevant bit of hardware!
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

rodeored wrote:I finally got zoneminder service running, now I'm trying to get the camera to run. The camera, D-link DCS943L is listed on the Hardware page with only 2 settings:
Source Type: ffmpeg
Source Path: rtsp://<camera ip>:554/play2.sdp

The source path I'm using is rtsp://198.168.000.007:554/play2.sdp
I have the camera hooked directly to my router, and the ip in the source path is the ip of the camera in the router. Is that the intended set up to go with these settings? I'm confused because the path includes an ip address but the source type is not network.
??? There is no source type of network. You have local, remote, ffmpeg, vlc, and curl. Last three are all network variations.
I know the camera works because I can hook it up to my windows computer.
That tells you that the camera isn't broken, but that doesn't mean your settings are right, either.

Fastest debug step you can do is to try the stream through vlc on your windows box. If it works there, then you should be able to get it working in zm no problem. If it doesn't, then don't bother.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

mikb wrote:
/dev/video0 is a local capture card (analogue, digital TV, USB stick tuner maybe or something similar) and is nothing to do with your IP Camera. IP cameras never (?) show up as /dev/anything.
Well then when the documentation says
Enter the full path to the device file that your camera is attached to, e.g. /dev/video0.
How do I know which, if any device file my camera is attached to? I never entered any code to attach it to any particular device file and I don't see any instructions anywhere for doing that.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

TheKorn wrote:
??? There is no source type of network. You have local, remote, ffmpeg, vlc, and curl. Last three are all network variations.
Yes I meant remote

I also tried to create a video stream with:
Source Type:remote
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Host Name: username:password@198.168.000.007

Fastest debug step you can do is to try the stream through vlc on your windows box. If it works there, then you should be able to get it working in zm no problem. If it doesn't, then don't bother.
I was not able to get it working in VLC. However, the camera is listed on the Zoneminder hardware page, so it must be something I'm not doing correctly. I'm trying to figure out the VLC error messages.
mikb

Post by mikb »

rodeored wrote: Well then when the documentation says
Enter the full path to the device file that your camera is attached to, e.g. /dev/video0.
How do I know which, if any device file my camera is attached to? I never entered any code to attach it to any particular device file and I don't see any instructions anywhere for doing that.
It's an IP camera. It isn't any kind of "device". That's for hardware physically attached to the computer, either PCI/PCI-E, possibly USB.

A remote camera feed from a webcam half way round the world won't be /dev/anything. You need to make an IP connection to it, so the important facts will be an IP address, a port number (maybe), a URL, a path, maybe username/password, the usual webby/internetty things.

You have it working in other players, so start from there. Just because your IP camera is local to you doesn't make it any different from using an IP camera miles away. IP is IP, and is dealt with through the networking side of linux.

I don't know what line in the docs you are quoting above, but you're in the area that deals with local physical capture cards etc. Step away from that, it will only confuse things :)

I don't use RTSP net links, so can't advise further on that (only motion jpeg, streaming by http://)
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

rodeored wrote: Yes I meant remote
For your usage, I'd pretend that camera type remote doesn't exist. I'm sure there is something that it's good at, but I certainly haven't found what! 8) I'd use either ffmpeg or vlc, exclusively.
Source Type:remote
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Host Name: username:password@198.168.000.007
Can't fetch a rtsp stream using http. (Can't pour milk into a hammer - just not compatible!)
I was not able to get it working in VLC. However, the camera is listed on the Zoneminder hardware page, so it must be something I'm not doing correctly. I'm trying to figure out the VLC error messages.
Reason why I suggested vlc is because it's a lot faster to try lots of configs via vlc than zoneminder. It's not that you can't go directly to zoneminder, it's just that for newbies it's usually easier.
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

rodeored wrote:mikb wrote:
Well then when the documentation says
That was under
Source Tab (local device)
IP cameras, by definition, are never local devices. Local means (for these purposes) "directly plugged into". It is not directly plugged into your computer, so not local.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

Thanks for the clarification.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

In vlc, if I add http as the destination, it wants a path. I have no idea what to put in there. I asked in the videolan group but no one has answered.
rodeored

Post by rodeored »

I'm probably just doing it completely wrong. I have no idea where to start to see the camera image in VLC. When I look at "open capture device, there's nothing there.
TheKorn

Post by TheKorn »

I don't have your camera (don't know where you saw it was supported in ZM, btw). But I do have other cameras that do rtsp streaming.

In VLC, I go to media, open network stream. Then I put in

Code: Select all

rtsp://(ip address of camera)/play2.sdp
Judging by the info in the wiki, I'd say you should probably put in

Code: Select all

rtsp://(ip address of camera):554/play2.sdp
rodeored

Re: Camera Settings for D-link DCS942L

Post by rodeored »

Doesn't the fact that its listed on this page mean its supported?

(I just noticed that the thread subject says Camera Settings for D-link DCS943L which is wrong. the camera is
D-link DCS942L
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link

I tried :554/play2.sdp and /play2.sdp with and without authentication,
all four times it comes up with
live555 error: SETUP of'audio/PCMU' failed RTSP response was truncated. Increase "RTSPClient::responseBufferSize"
live555 error: no data received in 10s, aborting
Last edited by rodeored on Wed May 07, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.