Can't get Axis M3025 camera to record over 3 fps

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
gregom

Can't get Axis M3025 camera to record over 3 fps

Post by gregom »

Running ZM 1.26.5 on Ubuntu server 12.04. I have 16 Axis P3533's all recording at 800x600 at 5 fps, and a Vivotek IP8362 recording at 1280x720 at 5 fps. Unfortunately I can't seem to get this Axis M3025 to record above about 3 fps. I've tried multiple resolutions including 1280x720 and even lower 4:3 resolutions but it just won't do it. The camera is running the latest firmware. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the camera or ZM. I'm thinking it is the camera since all my other cams are recording at the fps I want just fine. I only have one M3025. Unfortunately there are no older firmwares available for this camera so I can't do any changes there.

Any ideas?
jbmia

Re: Can't get Axis M3025 camera to record over 3 fps

Post by jbmia »

It might help if you describe how you have it configured? Perhaps some screen shots of the monitor config... Just a thought..
gregom

Post by gregom »

Yes of course.

This is how I have all my Axis P3353 cameras configured in ZM:
General Tab
Source Type: Remote
Function: Record
Linked Monitors: none selected
Maximum FPS: 5.00
Alarm Maximum FPS:
Reference Image Blend %ag: 6.25
Alarm Reference Image Blend: 3.125%

Source Tab
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: 10.0.0.x
Remote Host Port: 80
Remote Host Path: /axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi?
Target Color Space: 24 bit color
Capture Width: 800
Capture Height: 600

I'm not sure if any other information is relevant. I also have my Axis M3025 camera configured the same with the exception of the image size. I've tried many resolutions from 320x240 up to 1920x1080... they all record from 2.87 fps to 2.13 fps, depending on the resolution. I have no framerate limit in the configuration on the cameras webpage, it is set to unlimited. I can't get the desired 5 fps. I've tried setting it higher in ZM and lower on the camera itself, a few different combinations didn't result in anything different for ZM recordings.
jbmia

Post by jbmia »

I'm not seeing anything wrong with this monitor config... I would take the max fps out.. shouldn't change anything, but why limit it when you're trying to increase at this point.

On the camera side, what type of images are you capturing? Is this area generally bright or dark? What setting do you have in the advanced video section under "low light behavior" ? On my 225FD I have a prioritize frame rate option and a prioritize image quality option... If you're in low light and have prioritize image quality, you'd probably get lower frame rates. What average frame rates are you seeing on the camera itself anyway?

edit: what is your image compression set at in the image settings.. less compression = lower frame rates on my 225FD..

If you're seeing low frame rates in the camera, I'd check your cabling... Using the wrong, misswired, or partially broken cabling can do funny things..
You might also try accessing the stream via mpeg/rtsp if nothing else works... mjpeg usually gets high frame rates out of the box, so I wouldn't wager the inverse, but if nothing else it's worth a try.

You're running a fair amount of cameras.. what happens if you temporarily disable (some of) them and this camera is running alone? What are you load averages on the machine?

Curious.. be sure and let us know what frame rates you're seeing on the camera itself?
gregom

Post by gregom »

Thanks for responding jbmia. I've tried taking the max FPS out in ZM, it has no effect on the FPS ZM is recording at for this camera. If I remove FPS for my other cameras, they record anywhere from about 12 to 23 fps, but I have 17 cameras on this server. When I started off with just three, it would max out at 40 fps if I didn't set a limit.

The captured images look perfectly normal, not bright or dark, just right. As for the configuration in the camera webpage I haven't changed anything from defaults except to allow viewing without authentication. There is no "low light behavior" setting, closest thing is the Day/Night setting for the IR cut filter which is set to auto. Day/Night shift level is not adjustable I assume because the cut filter is set to auto. I also can't find anything about "prioritize frame rate" or "prioritize image quality". The scene this camera is recording is not low light. When I look at the live feed from the camera's webpage, it is nice and smooth... probably 30 fps, and this is a 1920x1080 MJPEG stream.

Image compression is set at default of 30 for JPEG, which is what i'm capturing. All the other cameras are set the same and they are doing fine.

Yes I am running a lot of cameras, but I initially started with just three and was having this problem. Load at that time was about 0.70. Now with 17 cameras i've seen its load go from 1.60 to 2.80. Never really seen it higher and I pay attention to that.

Again when I go to the camera webpage to view the live stream, it appears nice and smooth, well over 20 fps i'm sure and it is set to MJPEG and 1920x1080.
gregom

Post by gregom »

Anyone else got some ideas? I guess I can contact Axis but they will probably say if it shows full frame rate on the camera's webpage its fine and the problem is with my DVR software.
gregom

Post by gregom »

Does anyone have ANY other ideas?
mabene

Post by mabene »

gregom wrote:Does anyone have ANY other ideas?
The URL you're showing in your config is seems to be for single snapshot mode. You should really try to use mjpeg mode with the frame rate set at the camera;

You can try remote host path /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=800x600&fps=5 but I'm guessing here - I don't have a M3025 Camera to actualy try this.
gregom

Post by gregom »

Looks like that was it... My other Axis camera's aren't as picky for some reason. It is recording at 5 fps now though.

Thanks for the info! I'll let this run awhile and see if it is consistent.
gregom

Post by gregom »

It's been working great and recording at a constant 5 fps. Thanks for the help everyone and to mabene for the ultimate fix.