Viewing on the internet.

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
Fitch

Viewing on the internet.

Post by Fitch »

Hi all.
Is it possible to view the Zoneminder "local host" computer in real time from anywhere in the world?
And if so, is there a set of instructions on how to do it?

I have an empty house which is still connected to broadband, and live over 20 miles away, so accesssing the computer in the empty house would be very convenient.

Thanks.

Fitch
PacoLM

Re: Viewing on the internet.

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,
Search for dynamic DNS (DynDNS), you willl have to open a port in your router, setup the DynDNS account and that is all!

Hope it helps,

PacoLM

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Thanks for that.
Will give it a shot.
Cheers!
mikb

Post by mikb »

PacoLM wrote: and that is all!
Nearly all: You may wish to review the security settings on the web-server that now has its sensitive bits dangling out onto the internet. I don't think ZoneMinder comes with settings that will secure the rest of your (say) Apache server, so make sure you lock down everything else that's NOT Zoneminder once you finish securing and passwording ZM.

Because people will come knocking ...
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

I will.

The computer used has nothing but Linux and zoneminder, so there's nothing sensitive, exept the pictures of the would be burglars....
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Hi,

Security is another step, he was asking how to get to the server from internet...
This is another step, install fail2ban and ufw to ban ip addresses trying to get into your system. I could help you there.

Regards,

Paco

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

OK. When I get back to the house to continue setting up, I will PM you if that's ok (if that's possible in this thread), even if it's just to tell you I've put another thread up.
Thanks.
mikb

Post by mikb »

PacoLM wrote:Hi,
Security is another step, he was asking how to get to the server from internet...
This is another step, install fail2ban and ufw to ban ip addresses trying to get into your system. I could help you there.

Regards,

Paco
I know, and I didn't disagree with what you posted. Other than a static IP address and a domain name, then DDNS would be the way to do it.

But security is something you need to do as a first step though, not as an afterthought once it's working.

If you have something like a Raspberry Pi, with its default passwords and default settings, by the time you finish getting it working, someone will have hacked it and converted it into the world's smallest spam factory/bitcoin miner! :)

Absolutely agree on the fail2ban, that's a good idea to keep the persistent idiots at bay!

As to "only linux and zoneminder", an insecure linux system is a very useful tool. Don't be fooled by "only".

Open just the ports you need on your firewall/router, no more than that, and secure your Apache server. After all, you don't want it serving up stuff from your system, or your ZM pictures, to the world.