1.26.5 stuck in Alarm

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.26.x releases only.
bbunge

1.26.5 stuck in Alarm

Post by bbunge »

Ubuntu 12.04 server running ZM 1.26.5 (upgrade from 1.26.4) "sticks" in an Alarm state. Of the 15 cameras on the system just about every one has stuck sometime since the upgrade. As a test I set up a fresh install of 1.26.5 on a server with two USB cameras connected. Each of them got stuck in an alarm state sometime today. So, I surmise the issue is not with the upgrade. I've set the zone preset to Best, Medium and the cameras seem to be behaving themselves. Of course, there was no activith in the warehouse all afternoon.

Any ideas what happened? Or how to fix the problem?

Bill
mastertheknife

Re: 1.26.5 stuck in Alarm

Post by mastertheknife »

Hi,

Nothing was changed regarding motion detection between 1.26.4 and 1.26.5, however, a new option was added, called "alarm reference blend percentage". Its purpose is to allow fine tuning of how long an alarm lasts. It defaults to 3.125% and is probably the reason your alarms are getting "stuck". To restore 1.26.4 (and earlier) behaviour, set the alarm reference blend percentage to match the non-alarm reference blend percentage.
Basically, the way zm does its motion detection is by comparing the current frame to the reference image and analyzing the differences and then acting according to your zone(s) for that monitor. After each frame, a small portion of the current frame is blended into the reference image (This is the "reference blend percent" option). During alarm, the new option is used instead (This is the "alarm reference blend percent" option). The new option is useful if for example you want the alarm to only end after the object is totally gone from the picture (For this you will use no blending during alarm, or very little).

Hope this helps.
Kfir Itzhak.
sogood007

Post by sogood007 »

I have the same problem and I increase the alarm reference bend % from default to higher name like 12.5% seem fix the problem
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

Thanks for the info!
Is there a reason the indoor and outdoor Reference Image Blend is "recommended" to 6.25% and 12.5% respectively?

Is there documentation posted for this change and the cause/effect to the system/alarm state?

BB
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

I need to add that since I "adjusted" the reference image blend values ZM seems to be running smoother. By that I mean that the playback events are less jumpy and the streamed video is better! I had slowed down the frame rate on most of my cameras to fix the lock up issue. Am now considering pushing the frame rate back up to see what happens. F.Y.I. am running 14 web cams and one USB attached to a Core 2 Quad Dell Optiplex 755 with 8 GIG RAM.

bb
iitywygms

Post by iitywygms »

I would like to add that I also had the forever alarm after the upgrade. I was able to correct this after raising the numbers as other have suggested.
I am curious as to how the new option "Alarm Reference Image Blend %ge" differs from "Reference Image Blend %ge"
Does zoneminder use one option when the cameras are not in alarm and the other when they are in alarm? Why would you need both options?
pyroman

Post by pyroman »

I have had teh same issue, with the sun glimmering on snow. Continuous events for an hour or more. I wish there was a way to force those to be chopped in 10 min chunks.

After reading these posts, I went looking for the blend settings. I must be blind, I dont find them anywhere either in the options page or the alarm area setting pages for the cameras. Where exactly are they?
biboun

Post by biboun »

click on source (ip or /dev/videox)
the, first item "general"
zm.jpg
zm.jpg (34.97 KiB) Viewed 7691 times
pyroman

Post by pyroman »

ok, I guess I shouldnt be playing with these things at 4 am :P

Found the settings, thanks :)

Now to see if that fixes my glimmer on snow issue..
pyroman

Post by pyroman »

Ok, I found the settings and changed them. My snow glimmer problem is gone :)

Thanks!
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

Hi,

I fixed this in git by changing the default to 6% and by making the upgrade process (from 1.26.4 to 1.26.5) copy the value from the non alarm one to the alarm one.
Kfir Itzhak.