Will RTSP ever be fixed in ZoneMinder?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
Mad Professor

Will RTSP ever be fixed in ZoneMinder?

Post by Mad Professor »

Good day all.

As per the title, Will RTSP ever be fixed without ZoneMinder?

I see posts related to RTSP problems here on a weekly basis, but as of yet, I have not seen or found a way to make ZoneMinder work with RTSP.

I know the fault is within ZoneMinder or the way it handles RTSP, as BlueCherry fully supports RTSP and works, but I hate the BlueCherry interface.

Right now I am forced to use ZoneMinder for my analog cameras, and BlueCherry for my IP cameras so I can use the RTSP stream.

As said above I really hate the BlueCherry interface, and love the ZoneMinder interface, and I would really love to have all my camera on one system running just ZoneMinder.

Does anyone here know how ZoneMinder and BlueCherry handle the RTSP feed, and why BlueCherry works, and ZoneMinder does not.

And if it is even possible to get ZoneMinder working fully with RTSP support.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.
bb99

Re: Will RTSP ever be fixed in ZoneMinder?

Post by bb99 »

Have you tried it with ffmpeg as your source type?
Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor »

bb99: Thanks for your reply.

I did indeed try using ffmpeg, and had problems.

Here is the related post: Corrupted video stream using ffmpeg

Best Regards.
flyrobot

Post by flyrobot »

Im using 1.25.0 zm and ffmpeg 0.6.5 running on Centos 5.9. I have read whole topics on this thread but no clue to fix the RTSP problem. Using VLC is running smooth with RTSP.
if i check with ffmpeg protocols list enable (by typing : >ffmpeg -protocols , it seems no RTSP protocol enable. Its only (file, gopher, http, pipe,rtmp, rtp, tcp, udp and concat). Anyone who have success implementing rtsp can check the ffmpeg list protocols enable?
is it source of this problem ?

Thanks,

John
Kyce

Post by Kyce »

I have the same issue. When adding a camera using RTSP (FFMPEG) it will look fine only for the first few minutes. Then get corrupted just like Mad Professor's original post. Currently messing with FFMPEG options and not getting any results. My cameras do support other (HTTP) methods but they are not to par with RTSP. VLC works great. Will post if I get anywhere but doubt it.
Kyce

Post by Kyce »

Well it looks like I did have success. I would post the link to the details but it will not let me (Too spammy for a new user) Problem is not Zoneminder most likely.

To summarize it quickly, the work-around listed in here worked for me. Add a ?tcp to the end of your URL. This will most likely slow down the framerate a bit, but at least it is workable for me now.

example source path with workaround: rtsp://username:password@10.0.0.1/path/h264.file?tcp