ZMTrigger not compatible with MythTV plugin?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
davidsmoot

ZMTrigger not compatible with MythTV plugin?

Post by davidsmoot »

Good evening,

I just installed Zoneminder this weekend (Ubuntu host, 64 bit, version 1.25 using the pre-compiled packages).

I already have a pretty "geeked out" house with:
* MythTV system recording from both an HD HomeRun and an HD Homerun Prime
* 4 IP cameras of various manufacture (one Panasonic, one VivoTek, two webcams using mjpg-streamer + openwrt.
* MicasaVerde Vera Home Automation Controller connected to my home security system and my Z-Wave door locks.

I wanted to add ZoneMinder to do two things:
Integrate with MythTv to enable control and viewing of cameras on the TV
Allow the Vera system to trigger recordings via a network socket interface so that I can record camera footage when certain security system events occur.

Unfortunately it appears these two goals are mutually exclusive. According to http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... =zmtrigger and my testing, zmtrigger.pl is not compatible with shared memory but according to the mythtv wiki the zoneminder plug in for MythTv requires shared memory. I would post a link to the mythtv zoneminder plug in but the spam filters are not letting me post off site links.

So the purpose of this post is to ask the experts what my options are.

Is there any plan to fix zmtrigger to work with shared memory or is all the development effort focused on the mapped memory?
Are there any other options to accomplish the function of zmtrigger in a different manner?
Anybody here make both zmtrigger and mythtv plug in work by some hack?

Thanks for your time,
David
davidsmoot

Re: ZMTrigger not compatible with MythTV plugin?

Post by davidsmoot »

Well never mind. After getting some advice on the MythTV list I realized it was operator error all along. The latest version of MythTv works fine with mapped memory and all the Ubuntu (mythbuntu actually) work fine out of the box. Now on to getting Lua scripting on my Vera working.

David
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

David. Id be interested in your progress please. I too run a fairly decent myth setup at home along with zoneminder. I am also looking to buy a micasaverde for alarm integration and heating control etc.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
davidsmoot

Post by davidsmoot »

All I can say is very, very nice. If you are running Ubuntu just install the packages and everything just works as far as the Myth -zone integration. Can review and delete events from the TV, watch live feeds (for some reason I had to press "1" on my keyboard to advance to the next monitor).

As far as the Vera, I just got it integrated with ZmTrigger and it appears to work well too. The Vera uses a scripting language called "Luup" (a portmanteau of Lua and UPNP). The following snippet worked for me to trigger a recording:

Code: Select all

local socket = require("socket")
host = "192.168.x.x"
local tcp = assert(socket.tcp())
if( tcp ~= "nil" and tcp ~= nill) then
  tcp:settimeout(1)
  tcp:connect(host, 6802)
  tcp:send("3|on+10|255|Lua_script")
  tcp:close()
end
So now I can film who comes and goes every time my Z-wave locks are unlocked as well as tie it to my alarm system motion detectors and other home automation gear. I don't use any motion detection on the Zoneminder server, I am just going to tie in my security system motion detectors to record motion when armed.
David