Help with BT878 16 channel card

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
radarthis

Help with BT878 16 channel card

Post by radarthis »

Originally posted in wrong forum so I deleted and moved:

Hello, can someone give me some guidance? I'm playing around with Zoneminder for the first time. I'm using an old Elite Technology PC-Based DVR. The card in it has 2 Conexant Fusion 878A chips. It is a 16 channel unit. My system is showing video0 and video1 both as Brooktree Corp BT878. Each with 4 channels. So I'm missing half of my channels.

I've tried various input settings and can never get anything but a blue screen.

I'm guessing a modprobe.d bttv.conf file is in order to properly use this card, however I have no clue what it should contain. First of all, is this a compatible card? Where can I find settings for it?

Thanks so much for any help.
Chad
bb99

Re: Help with BT878 16 channel card

Post by bb99 »

Very little to go on here. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/BTTV/ will give you card, tuner, numbers along with info that might help you figure this out. I don't think you have a bttv.conf issue. I think you probably have ZM configured incorrectly which is common. Some hints: start with one camera only connected to the card (you're going to have to figure device/channel by trial and error or what I do is swap pigtails one at a time), use 320*240 for your resolution, select gray scale or BGR24 for the palette, and be patient; it can take 10 sec or more for the monitor to display after you save the configuration.

I haven't seen a 878 card offer more then 4 channels per chip so I believe you have what you have: 8 channels. Also the highest fps claim I've seen per single 878 chip is 30 fps; divide by 4 channels = 7.5 fps. In reality..... Going to throw out one more tid bit: eventually you'll add more than one monitor per chip. You'll notice that this doesn't work without changing the value for capture per frame to 2 and this will limit fps even more. Should I mention heatsinks, well ventilated case?
radarthis

Post by radarthis »

Ok. I think what I'm gathering from your response is the 16-ch card I have is not ideal. Ha. Do you have any recommendations on a different type that may work better? If not a 16 then perhaps two 8's of a particular make and model?
bb99

Post by bb99 »

I can't say. Get it working and you make the call. I will only run 1 camera per installed 878 chip (working knowledge), so for me you have a 2 camera card. I'm running a PV-149 (4 878 chips) for 4 cameras and am very happy.
radarthis

Post by radarthis »

Ok, thanks. I will just chuck the idea of using Zoneminder then. Thought it would be a good solution but sounds like you are really limited with the hardware. I appreciate it.