socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-xxxxxxs.sock ) No such file or di

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
marcschh

Re: socket_sendto( /tmp/zm/zms-xxxxxxs.sock ) No such file o

Post by marcschh »

I have exactly the same problem with ubuntu 12.04 and zm 1.25.0 from they're repos.
Tried every suggestion from here, but nothing helps
zoneluser

Post by zoneluser »

Removing apache and zoneminder from startup in /etc/rc*d/ and starting them manually has not fixed the socket_sendto issue on my configuration (now ubuntu 12.04, latest kernel, zm from deb package).
zoneluser

Update

Post by zoneluser »

Sorry for bumping my own post, but would like to update. Despite the socket_sendto errors, the ZM machine has been running more or less 24/7 since the date of my last post (10 days). The socket_sendto errors do not appear to interfere with normal operation.
There are some shared memory errors which break the feed, however I have written a hackish script to scrape syslog for errors and restart mjpg_streamer if they are found. Cron runs this each minute. Not perfect, but has worked well so far and has recorded over 1,000 events since I set it up. (For the curious, the cron script has had to run 22 times in 10 days to restart - however this is issue with mjpg_streamer not ZoneMinder, in fact ZM recovers quite gracefully).

Running Linux zm-ubuntu 3.2.0-29-generic-pae #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:25:43 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux with ZoneMinder 1.25 from the Ubuntu repositories, with mjpg-streamer as a source running in yuv mode.
Uptime is 10:36:58 up 5 days, 48 min, 1 user, load average: 1.47, 1.44, 1.52

I restart when the machine locks up, which sometimes happens with multiple users accessing the web interface - as the machine is no good for real time detection with load averages at 10 I just reboot. Machine is an Intel Q6600 with 1GB of RAM running 1 feed 960x720@10fps using YUV.

Hopefully some of this information is helpful to those experiencing similar error.
kevinkk

Post by kevinkk »

@zoneluser

I have a Q8300 with 4 cams at 640X480 at 8 fps with 4 GB of ram, and I am running system loads of load average: 0.85, 0.94, 0.94.

Every once in a while it will go above 1.4 but never over 2. If you are getting up to 10, I would bet that you are starting to use swap. You are likely running into IO issues which is locking the system. I would throw at least another 1 GB of ram in if I were you.
sogood007

Post by sogood007 »

I recently got this error but it turns out it was because I have multiple "stale" window viewing the video feed in my browser. Closing that stale monitor window and the error goes away. I got the stale monitor window probably because I was restarting the zoneminder from the control window without closing any existing monitor window.
Spart

Post by Spart »

zoneluser wrote:Removing apache and zoneminder from startup in /etc/rc*d/ and starting them manually has not fixed the socket_sendto issue on my configuration (now ubuntu 12.04, latest kernel, zm from deb package).
Same here, CentOS 6.3, latest kernel, all dependencies up to date, zm from source
Spart

Post by Spart »

kevinkk wrote:I resolved by issue by ensuring that my CGI-BIN was setup correctly.

something like this depending on you file structure within your /etc/apache2/sites-enables/<site_file>

Add the following under the virtual host in question:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/share/zoneminder/cgi-bin/

I also had a permissions issue on my cambozola.jar file. I used the following command to change the permissions.

sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/zoneminder/cambozola.jar

Your path man very. I hope that this helps!
This partially fixed things for me. The server I'm installing this on has multiple roles and ZM is just one of them, so I setup ZM as a virtual host. Oddly, the instructions I was following (combination of wiki and a page I can't link to because the forum tells me I'm a spammer) failed to mention any special things that needed done to httpd.conf.

Now, without cambozola enabled, I can now see live stills that update once every 15 seconds.

Turning cambozola on still yields socket_sendto() errors, and my permissions on cambozola.jar match those.

ETA: Turned on "high" bandwidth mode and could see stills every 5 seconds, modified /skins/classic/includes/config.php as follows: define( "ZM_WEB_REFRESH_IMAGE", 0.1 ); and now I have 10fps. This is all over local LAN so that's no problem, maybe a little extra CPU usage but it works.

I'd still love to get cambozola working though...
Spart

Post by Spart »

This all does beg the question for me, what should a proper apache config for zoneminder look like? I don't have a zoneminder.conf in my conf.d directory. This is what I have in my httpd.conf:

Code: Select all

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName   zoneminder.mydomain:80
        ServerAlias  zoneminder.mydomain
        UseCanonicalName Off
        ServerAdmin  "me@mydomain"
        DocumentRoot /var/www/vhosts/zoneminder.mydomain/httpdocs
        CustomLog  /var/www/vhosts/zoneminder.mydomain/statistics/logs/access_log plesklog
        ErrorLog   /var/www/vhosts/zoneminder.mydomain/statistics/logs/error_log

<Directory /var/www/vhosts/zoneminder.mydomain/httpdocs>
        AllowOverride FileInfo
        Options +FollowSymLinks
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1
        Allow from 192.168.1
        </Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/vhosts/zoneminder.mydomain/cgi-bin/
        <Directory /var/www/vhosts/zoneminder.mydomain/cgi-bin>
        AllowOverride None
        Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
        Order Deny,Allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.1
        Allow from 192.168.1
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
Anything I should try changing?
kevinkk

Post by kevinkk »

I also had permissions issues on cambozola. Change I changed ownership to www-data in my case, and also chmod to 755. This resolved my issues with playback.

My setup is working very well now. My issues were all having to do with permissions as well as script aliases being setup.
Spart

Post by Spart »

My zmc and zma processes run under the apache user, and my permissions are 755 but no luck. The .jar does appear to load, just not to get the jpeg stream.
kevinkk

Post by kevinkk »

in my case it was premissions for the .jar file its self.
Spart

Post by Spart »

kevinkk wrote:in my case it was premissions for the .jar file its self.
Right, I just mentioned that my processes were run as the "apache" user because that's the owner of my .jar, I'm sure your processes are run by "www-data" consistent with your Linux distro.
Spart

Post by Spart »

Let's complicate things more :x

My cambozola jar seems to be loading just fine. I see the text "Cambozola V0.22 (c) Andy Wilcock, 2001"

If I click on the space where the jar occupies, I get a little dialog box with URL and FPS text boxes.

If I copy the text out of the URL text box and paste it into my browser, I get an Image!

Chrome (and IE, I think) are useless at MJPEG streams, but if I paste it into Firefox, I get a video stream!

So,

a.) The URL cambozola is using seems to work fine.
b.) Cambozola seems to be running well enough to tell me what URL it's using.
c.) Cambozola isn't working because _____??

I am entirely confused.

ETA: Figured it out!

All of my browsers had cached the old cambozola.jar file I had downloaded. When I upgraded to the latest version to try and remedy my problems, I gave it the same name.

Changing cambozola.jar to cambozola092.jar and also updating the cambozola file path in the options with the same info got it working. You could probably also clear all browsing data, but if you're like me you don't like loosing all your cookies for logins to sites like this one. ;)
Last edited by Spart on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinkk

Post by kevinkk »

What are your permissions on the jar file?
Spart

Post by Spart »

kevinkk see above, I got it resolved. Something stupid, as always. :mrgreen: