420 TV lines Cheap Sony CCD - which pal resolution

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
tibetfreedom

420 TV lines Cheap Sony CCD - which pal resolution

Post by tibetfreedom »

Simple answer what resolution should I use for this cheap camera ?
Thanks…
I believe the lines must be divisible by 16 for maktheknife's patch to work ?
mastertheknife

Re: 420 TV lines Cheap Sony CCD - which pal resolution

Post by mastertheknife »

You can use pretty much any resolution you want, even 720x576

mastertheknife
Kfir Itzhak.
tibetfreedom

Post by tibetfreedom »

mastertheknife wrote:You can use pretty much any resolution you want, even 720x576

mastertheknife
really, what is the optimal resolution, I'm using the Magiea distro which has all your patch included as well as eyezm support.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

tibetfreedom wrote:
mastertheknife wrote:You can use pretty much any resolution you want, even 720x576

mastertheknife
really, what is the optimal resolution, I'm using the Magiea distro which has all your patch included as well as eyezm support.
I'm not sure if it has the latest patch, the one with deinterlacing support.
If it does, and you are interested in a progressive image (deinterlaced), you can capture at 704x576 and enable four field motion adaptive deinterlacing (try medium).
If you are still interested in progressive image, but don't want to waste CPU cycles on deinterlacing or your hardware isn't powerful enough, you can capture at 352x288 instead (but make sure to only capture the odd or even fields, by selecting "V4L2: Capture top only". This should give you a progressive image.
If you are interested in an interlaced image (no deinterlacing), you can capture at 704x576 without enabling deinterlacing.

mastertheknife
Kfir Itzhak.
andrewa

Post by andrewa »

Thanks for the useful discussion. It saved me a lot of experimenting with resolution but not with "device format" and "capture palette". I have the cheapest possible IR cameras JK212 http://www.jmk.hk/en/productshow.aspx?id=339 and spent a lot of time to find out that just PAL Nc works, then palette should be GREY or BGR24.
Could You explain the signal parameters behind "PAL Nc". In Wiki I found detailed tables explaining PAL *, but no mention of Nc. All PAL * types have >420 TV lines, I guess PAL Nc is for cameras like mine with 420 TV lines. It would be nice to have a table with the device format parameters in ZM for each setting from PAL to ATSC.

One more point: changing some settings of monitor N:1 in a 2-camera system leads to red monitors and no image until monitor N:2 is set to the same settings and ZM is restarted. Which is time consuming on a slow CPU and especially if more cameras are connected. One way out is to delete all monitors except one and change just its settings before restarting ZM. Is there a "king's way" to guess when restart is needed after changing monitor settings?
andrewa

Post by andrewa »

I just noticed that the images are B/W when recording/viewing with both "grey" or "GBR" settings. The board is PICO2000, the cameras are colour, but the images in both IE and Firefox are B/W. jpg files properties are: 704*576 pixels, 120 dpi, 24 bit depth, frame 1.
Can this configuration give colour image like under Win?