How many cams on a Single-core Celeron 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM ???

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
barnabas1969

How many cams on a Single-core Celeron 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM ???

Post by barnabas1969 »

I've done a lot of reading in the documentation and wiki. I've already read the hardware compatibility list. I don't have any cams yet, but I've ordered one to play with... it will be here next week.

I would like to have 7-8 cameras total (6 outdoor, and 1-2 indoor), all recording when motion is detected. I think it would be reasonable to detect on 3 or 4 fps until motion is detected... at which point I would like to record full motion video.

The cameras I am interested in are IP cameras from Foscam. They can do up to 30fps@320x240 or 15fps@640x480. I would rather record full resolution... in color... if possible.

I understand that performance can be optimized by defining detection zones correctly. I think I can handle that. For example, I think I would want to make ZM ignore the street (no need to record cars going by), ignore the trees, etc.

I do not see any benefit of saving any images or video when no motion is detected, so I would expect that my setup will only record something when motion is detected.

I would like to use a computer that uses as little electric power as possible. I have an old laptop that has a single-core Intel Celeron 1.5GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, and a 60GB hard drive. This machine is attractive because: A) It's free, B) It only uses 15 watts of electric power when at idle... and only about 45 watts when running a fairly heavy load. I could use an external HDD for video storage. What I'm wondering... is it possible to run 7 cameras in this way with such a low-power computer?

Any advice is welcome. I'm interested in ZM because it's free, it looks like it has lots of cool features, and I assume that linux would be less CPU hungry than Windows. I'm not a linux guru, but I have a co-worker who is really into Ubuntu, a good friend who has lots of experience with mySQL & PHP, and I'm a fast learner. I'm very experienced with Windows, and have some limited experience with HP-UX... and this could be a good opportunity to learn more about linux.

Some further information... I have a fairly powerful HTPC, but that machine sleeps when it is not in use and there are no shows being recorded. It has a quad-core i5 2.8GHz CPU, 8GB of RAM, 4TB of disk storage, and runs Windows 7 Media Center. When all four of my Media Center Extenders are running, plus the TV that is directly-connected to the HTPC, the CPU never gets much above 20% busy. I suppose it might be possible to run linux in a virtual machine on this PC... but I don't want to use so much electric power. This machine uses 165 watts at idle.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.
dkellygb

Re: How many cams on a Single-core Celeron 1.5GHz, 1GB RAM ?

Post by dkellygb »

I was using an HP box with an 1.7 ghz AMD Sempron single processor chip and 4 gig of memory. This was on Ubuntu 10.04 desktop. Using six analogue cameras, this system was very overload usually between 2 - 4 on top. Although the home page says Zoneminder, "can often be installed on old hardware that may be lying around unused...", processing events and video takes a bit of CPU power. I would suggest a more powerful box if you have it.

I have recently put Zoneminder on an old Dell server I was able to find which is a dual processor 2.4 ghz Intel Xeon. It runs much more comfortably there with a much zippier response from the web interface.

Dave
barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 »

Thanks. That seems to agree with other advice that this machine will run 2-3 cameras comfortably. That's good enough for testing and learning about ZM.
scotts777

Post by scotts777 »

I haven't been able to find any documentation explaining what the load numbers mean. I assume it refers to CPU load, but not exactly sure of the scale. At first I thought it may be a percentage, but it seems too low.

Can you explain what would be considered "low" and what is "high"? I'm running Zoneminder 1.25 on Ubuntu Server 12.04 with 5 IP Cameras - 4 Axis 207's at 640x480 and 1 Axis 5014 at 1280x800 resolution, all on MoDect and my load jumps around between 2 and 4. The hardware is an HP Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz machine with 1-2 GB RAM (can't remember which at the moment)

Any help would be appreciated.
gerfry

Post by gerfry »

scotts777 wrote:I haven't been able to find any documentation explaining what the load numbers mean. I assume it refers to CPU load, but not exactly sure of the scale. At first I thought it may be a percentage, but it seems too low.

Can you explain what would be considered "low" and what is "high"? I'm running Zoneminder 1.25 on Ubuntu Server 12.04 with 5 IP Cameras - 4 Axis 207's at 640x480 and 1 Axis 5014 at 1280x800 resolution, all on MoDect and my load jumps around between 2 and 4. The hardware is an HP Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz machine with 1-2 GB RAM (can't remember which at the moment)

Any help would be appreciated.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_(computing)

Quoting that (from the middle):
"For example, one can interpret a load average of "1.73 0.60 7.98" on a single-CPU system as:
during the last minute, the system was overloaded by 73% on average (1.73 runnable processes, so that 0.73 processes had to wait for a turn for a single CPU system on average).
during the last 5 minutes, the CPU was idling 40% of the time on average.
during the last 15 minutes, the system was overloaded 698% on average (7.98 runnable processes, so that 6.98 processes had to wait for a turn for a single CPU system on average)." ('http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_(computing)')

Think that is what you were looking for...

br gerfry