How to reach Zoneminder from the public internet?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
ebros

How to reach Zoneminder from the public internet?

Post by ebros »

Hi,
I have tried to solve my problem, how to reach my Zoneminder from the public internet.
First I have DDNS from No-Ip and I don´t know, what kind of settings I must use there.
Second I have 3 G Router TL-MR342 and I am not sure, what kind of settings I must use there with my
DDNS settings and what kind of adress I must use? If somebody knows, I shall be happy!
PacoLM

Re: How to reach Zoneminder from the public internet?

Post by PacoLM »

You have to open the acces in your router, using the port number you use in apache. Then use a dynamic dns service to provide you with a public domain, so you could access it from anyway.

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
ebros

Post by ebros »

It is not so easy,as you said, because I am not very clever with these things.
I have made in NO-IP host name xxxxxxxx.xxxx.org and it´s type is DNS Host(A).
I have forwarded in my router in the port 80 to IP adress, where my ZM is. I thik, that ZM/Apache uses this port.
I have open the port 80 in my router and still I can´t reach my ZM. Is the adress of ZM http://xxxxxxxxx.xxxx.org:80 or someting else?
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

If you're trying to access the external address from your intranet would not work. You have to test it from work's computer or a friend's computer.

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
stonith

Post by stonith »

Need to go to whatismyipaddress, get your public ip. Go to an online portscanning site and portscan your ip address. See if port 80 is there.

Granted, like you said, you need to port forward any incoming TCP 80 traffic back into your NAT'd internal server on port 80 (if that is where zoneminder) is configured. I personally don't think it is a good idea to run a public 80 port even with apache auth on the Internet. I think it would be wiser using a VPN setup or go with HTTPS and SSL certificates. Anyway, that is another topic.

You can still test by hitting your public ip address. If you are doing this on a residential ip address that is possibly dynamic, understand Dynamic DNS, but also be aware that some ISP providers block ports below 1024 (like HTTP 80), which is why I would like you to portscan your public ip address first. Or you would be wasting your time. Once you have confirmed that your public ip address is listening on port 80, then you should try telnetting to your public ip address on port 80 and issue a manual HTTP GET command. I would show you how to do this, but the Forums think I'm spamming on the posts (since I am a new user). Not all is lost if 80 is blocked, you will have to run your webserver on a port higher than 1024. Good luck.

Stonith
ebros

Post by ebros »

Hi,
Thanks advices! I have two OS in my PC, Windows and Kubuntu. I have changed in apache2 of Kubutu to listen port 911 and I can reach Zoneminder in my Lan-net. I have done the portforwarging the port 911 to my Windows/kubuntu PC. I have also NO-Ip Dns, which works. All seems to be right. When I use Windows side, Open Port Check Tool sees my service in Win, which means, that the port is open and right forwarded, but when I turn my PC to Kubuntu site, Zoneminder, Open Port Check Tool sees my port 911 blocked. Something is missing in Zoneminder or Kubuntu, which blocks my incoming internet traffic in port 911. 3G router it is not! Have anybody idea, what is going on?