Zoneminder on a multipurpose server

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
expertpc

Zoneminder on a multipurpose server

Post by expertpc »

I just wanted to share my success story of getting Zoneminder 1.25 installed and running on an Ubuntu 11.10 Server system running a hosting control panel with an Airlink SkyIPCam747W. I started about 2 weeks ago and found out right away that it was going to be no easy task since the control panel took over permissions, apache and php when creating a virtual host via the control panel and limited access to system folders which made it impossible to install in this way. I just finished getting the Zoneminder system up and running after working on it on and off for the last 2 weeks and although stubborn at times it was well worth it as everything is working properly with minimal load on the server. I ended up configuring Perl ffmpeg and all prerequisites as they were listed in the Ubuntu Server walkthrough but could not get video to stream. After much head banging and keyboard pounding fun I found that I had to configure a virtual host in apache to direct the camera url to the correct directory to bypass the hosting panel and still allow the panel to function on the normal addresses. Also I had to set "ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"" in the httpd.conf as the streaming server was not executing, and it didn't affect the hosting since they use apache templates on a per domain basis and override the main configuration. Then the battle to get the PTZ Controls working on this camera was resolved by changing the use ZoneMinder::Debug qw(:all); line to use ZoneMinder::Logger qw(:all);. All in all I couldnt have gotten this done without the great community everyone has made and vast knowledge shared in the forums and Wiki, and I thank all of you for that. I am sure there are possibly several things I am missing since it is coming up on 4AM here shortly. :shock: Should anyone ever want to do some crazy setup like this in the future and have issues, feel free to let me know and I will be happy to share any additional knowledge I gained during this project. Goodnight for now!
Steve B
General Manager
Expert PC