Accessing Zoneminder from 200 miles away

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Fitch

Accessing Zoneminder from 200 miles away

Post by Fitch »

I have a guest house which uses ZM 1.24 on an Ubuntu Jaunty system with a static IP. I am forced to leave very soon, and so have to maintain the system via remote access. I loaded Gadmin server on the ZM machine and Gadmin client on the laptop I'm taking away with me.

BT have given the guest house a static IP address (for a small monthly fee)

So far, so good..

Gadmin Server gave me two .crt files, two.key files and a .csr file, which are now sitting on my laptop desktop just looking at me. I wouldn't have the foggiest what to do with them!

At the moment I have to try and connect to the ZM machine's static IP through the guest house wifi which isn't happening, but I can connect to any other IP address on the network.

I have no chance of connecting from Edinburgh, If I can't even connect from the top bedroom.

has anybody tried something similar?
PacoLM

Re: Accessing Zoneminder from 200 miles away

Post by PacoLM »

The public and static IP is the address to access from the outer LAN, if you want to access the system from the local LAN you should use the local IP of the system.

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Since I am able to access anything else on the network, I already know this..
If I access the ZM computer from any other wired computer on the network, I can also get the ZM console.
I just cannot get it from the wifi access point, and I don't know what is meant to be done with the certificates sitting on my desktop.
sgn

Post by sgn »

Why are you using Gadmin (whatever it is) for remote access? As long as your ZM host has a static IP (or is connected to a router with a static IP) you can use port forwarding to access your host through http and ssh. For added security, set up a VPN solution for connecting to your home network.

You don´t even need a static IP, any dynamic DNS service (like DynDNS) will let you connect to your home network with ease.
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

Wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about. Sorry!
alf

Post by alf »

Fitch wrote:Wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about. Sorry!

There's a number of ways to do this, not many of them can be explained in detail here.

But the simple answer is forward port 80 and 22 to your zoneminder computer on your modem/router.

Then you should be able to access the zm page from anywhere, you can also protect your http pages with a password with an apache module.

You did this the hard way, a dyndns account would have been easier and cheaper.