Any chance I can use this Hardware?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.25.x releases only.
troggot

Any chance I can use this Hardware?

Post by troggot »

Hello,

I am using the below "resorces" on a Xubuntu 11.10, is there any chance I may setup a working version of ZoneMinder with this PC?
My needs are quite low as well...I need a 1 camera only installation to check my car.
Some neighbour has decided that I am not entitled to park on a public space under my window and he started to vandalize my car (scratches) :( :(
...maybe because I have a foreign plate?? :|

So I would like to use this low level resources old PC for this purpose but please let me know if I have any chance to see it working before I start.

If I have understood well some cameras have built-in video streamer, this may salvage resources on the PC and make the magic happen?

troggot@dancer:~$ egrep "processor|name" /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1400MHz
troggot@dancer:~$ cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTot
MemTotal: 474864 kB
troggot@dancer:~$ uname -a
Linux dancer 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:34:47 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
troggot@dancer:~$
andy1c

Re: Any chance I can use this Hardware?

Post by andy1c »

troggot wrote:Hello,

I am using the below "resorces" on a Xubuntu 11.10, is there any chance I may setup a working version of ZoneMinder with this PC?
My needs are quite low as well...I need a 1 camera only installation to check my car.
Some neighbour has decided that I am not entitled to park on a public space under my window and he started to vandalize my car (scratches) :( :(
...maybe because I have a foreign plate?? :|

So I would like to use this low level resources old PC for this purpose but please let me know if I have any chance to see it working before I start.

If I have understood well some cameras have built-in video streamer, this may salvage resources on the PC and make the magic happen?

troggot@dancer:~$ egrep "processor|name" /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1400MHz
troggot@dancer:~$ cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTot
MemTotal: 474864 kB
troggot@dancer:~$ uname -a
Linux dancer 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:34:47 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
troggot@dancer:~$
Hi!
The easiest way to check the suitability of the computer to work with ZM - use the LiveCD with ZM. ZMliveCD_1.23.3.iso
The easiest way to get a working solution - LiveCD with ZM with the possibility of the installation.
The best way, but requires the most time - shopping for a favorite distro Linux (I like OpenSUSE 11.4) in server mode, install and configure ZM yourself.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

If there's requests for these LiveCD's I'll repost them to LinuxTracter and support them but the real answer would be for someone to post a new one against 1.25
nightcrawler

Post by nightcrawler »

Hi,

I'm using an Intel celeron 1.6 ghz (mobile) processor in an mini ITX system and it works fine with an PCI BTTV capturecard an 3 cam's on 5 frames/sec.
So I think you can use it.

(I'm using ubuntu 11 64 server install, and a 20 GB harddrive (5400rpm) , 1 GB ram but I use only 450 mb of RAM)
Zoneminder @Ubuntu 11 server, ZM 1.25.0 , FFMPEG, 4 Analoge cameras, 1.6ghz P4mobile, 2GB ram, 60GB-HDD.
I also have an (homeseer) domotica system up-and-running with touchscreens,light controllers,weather forecast etc.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

You shoudl be fine if my pentum 3 @ 600mhz can do motion detect on 2 640x480 8fps cctv camers i am sure almost any hardware can do it. Just make sure to set frame skip in the monitor setup page makes motion detect run on every other 5th etc frame rather than every one.
lucy123

Post by lucy123 »

kingofkya wrote:You shoudl be fine if my pentum 3 @ 600mhz can do motion detect on 2 640x480 8fps cctv camers i am sure almost any hardware can do it. Just make sure to set frame skip in the monitor setup page makes motion detect run on every other 5th etc frame rather than every one.
i have an old laptop running windows 98, not sure about hd size, probably less than 10gb...will it work?
"If you are afraid of failure, then you will fail" - by me
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

You can tune zm down to use fewer resources. Give it a try, it'll probably be capable of recording. Motion detection uses a lot more processor, but even so it may work.

As for whether you can view public areas, see http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/to ... /cctv.aspx (there's another guider for organisations)

Generally, you can record anywhere except where someone may expect privacy. That said, I do know of instances where recording somebody else's private land, garden etc has been viewed as an invasion, but never a public parking area. The police will approach you every time there's something dodgy if they know you're recording and ask for copies, but I've never had a problem cooperating in the dozen or so times they've contacted us.
Mr.Ziggy

Post by Mr.Ziggy »

I think for one camera it should work fine.

Depends on your camera too.

For complete ease of use in your situation, whatever camera you buy probably comes with recording software (for Windows). You may want to just use that for 2 weeks, find your guy, and deal with person, and then move on with your life.

AXIS bundled software is probably adequate for you.

If you want more options, power, etc, use Zoneminder.
troggot

Post by troggot »

Thanks to all,

any chance to get a working link to the ZMliveCD_1.23.3.iso?
I have the impression I have browsed the whole internet without finding one.
All links are not working.

Also if you had one copy it'd be great if you could feed a torrent ...
cordel

Post by cordel »

I believe I still have a working link of both Ross's LiveCD and my Old Distro at ctuweb.com You shouldn't need to login too get it.
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Posted at Linuxtracker.org (1.23.3 based on Mandriva) in the LiveCD category. I can also produce if needed: ZMLarch 1.24.2, ZMLinuxOS 1.23.3 (based on PCLinuxOS).