How to interface ZoneMinder to external signals?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
hamradio

How to interface ZoneMinder to external signals?

Post by hamradio »

Hi,
I'm beginning the project of a home surveillance system based on ZoneMinder running on a Linux headless pc connected to my home lan.
Before beginning, I need to clear the following doubts:
How can ZoneMinder be switched on when I leave my home and switched off when I come back by using an external relay (I mean how could an external relay be interfaced to a Linux system and then to ZoneMinder)?
How can ZoneMinder trigger some external relays which do things like activating buzzers, etc. etc.?
Links to websites with schematics and/or interface cards are appreciated too :)
Thank you in advance for your valuable help and suggestions.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: How to interface ZoneMinder to external signals?

Post by zoneminder »

You will probably need to customise zmtrigger.pl to work with your particular scenario. If you search for zmtrigger you should come up with some examples.
Phil
baekmark

Re: How to interface ZoneMinder to external signals?

Post by baekmark »

Hi hamradio

I have been searching for a solution like the one that you are looking for, and have posted two question on the forum, but to no avail!

Realizing that I was not getting any clues from this forum, I made my own solution!

I startet looking for a card with rs232 and drivers to Linux, but I found this USB card:http://www.velleman.eu/distributor/prod ... ?id=351346
and the drivers are here:http://k8055utils.sourceforge.net/?site ... 8055m#lbAF

Just compile and install, test with the client program.

But what about a keypad, well I got one her:http://www.npc.dk/Default.asp?ID=58 Look for "CTR 1b"

I took the output (relay) and used as input 1 on the k8055.

Then make a small program to read status of input one, and call "/usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl Active" depending on condition.

I made one that starts by reading the status of ZM (haven't been able to dig that info out of ZM itself, but only on status file I made in /var) and setting that status. Just to align status with reality. Then the program goes into a while - do loop, where it reads the status by calling k8055m, and if the input is activated, then change status of ZM from Active to InActive or the other way around. I turn on output 1 when status is Active and change to output 2 when status is InActive. When I make the call to "/usr/local/bin/zmpkg.pl State" I turn on output 8 to indicate activity, and off when status has changed!

You can have that card to do a million other things, but as with me, I had to start somewhere :P

I hope you and others can use this information!

You can have my script, if you drom me a line!

BR
Lars