Capture cards, max resolution/performance

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
DREMA

Capture cards, max resolution/performance

Post by DREMA »

Hello!

I just want to compare experiences and performance of others capture cards.

I currently have two cards, one with bt878 chips, and the other with saa7134 chips, both of the have 8 capture chips, and 8 inputs.

Does anyone have any of this cards running at 640x480 on all inputs without horrible interlacing? What configs do you use for the cards? Does it freeze your machine after some time? Any bus errors?

Thanks for the feedback!
Just... enjoy life! :D
graphicw

Re: Capture cards, max resolution/performance

Post by graphicw »

I use a couple of Kodicom 8800 clones. I run mine at 720x480 in grey scale with good results. The interlacing is not bad at all and is easily removed when I decided to export a video via ffmpeg.
andrelg

Post by andrelg »

I used to have a Geovision GV800 with 16 cameras running with 640x480 resolution, but unfortunatelly the load on the machine was to high. The CPU usage was greater than 95% all the time and if I want to view any previous records it tooks about 15 minutes to load.

The solution was to change the resolution from 640x480 to 320x240.
Running with 320x240 the cpu usage was in 50~70%, to view previous records tooks only a minute and I saved disk space.
DREMA

Post by DREMA »

720x480?? On all channels and without lockups or horrible interlacing?? What config do you use for your card?
Just... enjoy life! :D