ZMLarch_1.24.2-1; First Hurdle

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Jammybstard

ZMLarch_1.24.2-1; First Hurdle

Post by Jammybstard »

Hi All
I've been in the security industry for years, recently we've been moving steadily into IP; I've done loads of MS based systems but never touched a Linux system untill the last year.
So far I've had to deal with CISCOs offering a few times, but never enough to get properly into Linux.

I want to give ZM a go at home and hopfully learn a bit about Linux on the way:
I've just installed ZMLarch_1.24.2-1 on an MS Virtual_PC. It all seemed to install ok but when I try and browse to the ZM Console (/localhost/zm/) I just get the "Failed to Connect...." page.

If i start the zmviewer I get "Can not connect to Database at host" message

In the Webserver Log I get the message "No address asociated with hostname: mod_unique_id: unable to find IPv4 address of zmhost"

Can anyone sugest what my problem might be? I'd really apriciate a bit of help getting going.

Thanks

J
bb99

Re: ZMLarch_1.24.2-1; First Hurdle

Post by bb99 »

If I remember correctly you need to edit the localhost line to remove the end (everything after localhost) that points to 127.0.0.1 in the hosts file. Sorry I can't give you path in Arch.
Jammybstard

Post by Jammybstard »

Thanks for the response BB

I believe the file your refering to is /etc/hosts that would make sense.

How do you log in to Root? to edit the file i need to log in as root, but the docs on frontpage say there is no password set for root; but leaving it blank dosent work?

Thanks again

J
bb99

Post by bb99 »

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=14883

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=14702

I realize there is an issue with searching older posts under this ungraded forum.
Jammybstard

Post by Jammybstard »

Jammybstard wrote:Thanks for the response BB

I believe the file your refering to is /etc/hosts that would make sense.

How do you log in to Root? to edit the file i need to log in as root, but the docs on frontpage say there is no password set for root; but leaving it blank dosent work?

Thanks again

J
To answer my own question; I set the root password with the sudo passwd command
bb99

Post by bb99 »

You nailed that part of it, the other link points to your original question.
Jammybstard

Post by Jammybstard »

Sorted, worked a charm. I would never have found that on my own; Thanks!

I still get the error on the console; but I'll look at that a bit more tomorrow!
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Once you're happy please post anything not covered above and edit the title to include "solved". I'm not sure if we'll get the search for older posts working; this will make much easier for newer searches with positive results. Thanks.