HICAP50 DVR card (ComartSystem-Korea) driver needed

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
andrewa

HICAP50 DVR card (ComartSystem-Korea) driver needed

Post by andrewa »

Hi!
I need help about HICAP50 DVR card. It has SAA7146 Philips chip, automatically /dev/vcs1-8 and /dev/vcsa1-8 is created, no /dev/video is created. lspci | grep SAA7146 | wc -l spits out "1", which corresponds to HICAP50, lspci | grep SAA7146 spits out "Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)" There are a few posts in the forum about it and no solution yet.
Emstone offer Live CD, which installs a closed linux system on the HD (I put another HD in the same box) and the card is working OK. I connected again my FC6 HD and mounted the HD resulting from Live CD install and found that it is a 2.6.28 Ubuntu version and the DVR driver is . . . /video/dvr.ko
There are a bunch of drivers for Linux as well on their site http://download.emstone.com/dvr/drivers/comart/ and I tried to install the latest one, looks it is for kernel 2.6.15. My box has FC6 with kernel 2.6.18. The driver dvr.o is copied to .../video, ./makedev created /dev/video0, but insmod reports "invalid module format" and the module actually does not load, ZM does not work with video0. insmod -f also fails. The dvr.ko driver from Live CD also fails.
There is an SDK, doc files etc. but I am not as good with Linux load correctly a driver.
Can someone help with this driver issue?
I have installed a PICO2000 card on another box by inserting options bttv card=77 . . . . in modprobe.conf but there is no clue how to configure the generic saa7146 driver and load it manually instead of using the specific HICAP driver, if this is possible at all.
I am not enthusiastic about buying a new card; this one has been working properly until now under Windows OS, but I have to switch to Linux to use this box for routing and other functions, which Win lacks.
MoOz

Re: HICAP50 DVR card (ComartSystem-Korea) driver needed

Post by MoOz »

Hi
I have the same problem
i was a re-seller of these cards in Sydney Moztronics

the cards are also tied into specific motherboard chip sets mainly Intel and Bus Speeds
the manufacture will make it very hard to use on an another type of OS

I'm also trying to to do the same thing

see here
http://www.tech-g.com/2013/05/13/zonemi ... l-chipset/