Geovision GV800

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Neppon

Post by Neppon »

CoYoTe wrote:working in high resolutions (beyond 352x288 PAL or 320x240 in NTSC) generates this kind of problems. The original windows soft, works in 320x240, if you set it up to work in 640x480 you'll see the same kind of glitchs.
This is a example of move glitchs, take look my hand and fingers:

When I use ntsc 320x240 it´s be fine, but with an another resolution here comes the glitchs. At moment I using 420x315 and 100% in jpg quality, about 12k to 13k by any jpg.
In "windows", in ANY resolutions this not happen and, of corse, you can see detail diferences in a 320x240 or 640x480 in "windows" or linux... my capture cam it´s ntsc 420L.
I was try to see my satelite dish receiver that I have 100% sure that it´s NTSC 640x480 and no glitchs in "windows", but same problem in linux.

And now another tip:
when you extract the "cambozola" you need to use the same dir that zoneminder php files (in my case: "/usr/share/zoneminder" ) and then change the permition/execute bit ( #chmod 755 /usr/share/zoneminder/cambozola* ) and now it´s working stream fine in internet explorer.

One interestin consideration: in firefox, using language pt_br (latin1 - codepage 850) the special caracters will not show.. you see just some like "Op��es", but you see correctly "Opções" in internet explorer... I´m digging now the forum looking something about...

Neppon
CoYoTe

Post by CoYoTe »

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0

Take a look there. The problem resides in the capture driver. ZM only grabs the frames, in the way the driver pass it.
If you post-process the images, (in my opinion) you need:
Really powerfull hard, an intermediate between driver and ZM itself that deinterlace the images.
The delay in signals for sure gonna be raised... (using ffmpeg generate a 2 secs delay tipically, plus loose of quality, etc)

The best option is to work on the driver (deinterlacing images in the process of capture). I have not enough skills to work on it. So zoneminder still can process and analyze images (slowly for sure, but it can be corrected skipping lines in the process).

Sorry my bad english,
Alejandro
Neppon

Post by Neppon »

CoYoTe wrote:http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Take a look there. The problem resides in the capture driver. ZM only grabs the frames, in the way the driver pass it.
Really interesting use the "mencoder".. linke avi, mov or mpg export, perhaps the develop team can implemment the option "mencoder" ou "avi deinterlaced".. because you will spend time to convert to any video format, deinterlaced or not... will now get a realtime option, but in recorded at least in events may usefull.... I think that anyone can deal with image quality and balance plus or minus in final video file.
I will take a look in the other scripts and make some tests.

And thanks CoYoTe by your tips :c)
Neppon

Post by Neppon »

I was made some tests from my window, using 320x240 capture with 2x zoom and compare firefox and internet explorer in windows xp (or any another system/navigator using cambozola client, like safari).

If anyone wish take a look:

The cambozola it´s a option for another navegators, but will not have the same image quality (sharpness) than in firefox.... and for no glitchs, at the moment, I need to use 320x240.

* still making mencode tests in zmvideo.pl * :c)

Neppon
marcodefreitas

Post by marcodefreitas »

CoYoTe wrote:working in high resolutions (beyond 352x288 PAL or 320x240 in NTSC) generates this kind of problems. The original windows soft, works in 320x240, if you set it up to work in 640x480 you'll see the same kind of glitchs.

Maybe you can try to process the frames with FFMPEG. You gonna loose some capacities of zoneminder (like modect or scale) but it can improve video quality. And of course you gonna have a delay in vid (i was testing and get about 1 or 2 secs)

A good solution to implement can be make a channel switch resolution when zoomed, but it's not easy to do... maybe in a future release...
I have a board working on YUV422P
giloosh

Post by giloosh »

I have a Geovision GV1480 card that is not showing up as a device in the /dev folder but I think it is showing up with lspci as "Multimedia video controller"
I asked geovision if they can help but they said "Geovision system software only supports Windows Operating System at the moment."
Is there anything I could do to get it to work in linux as you have done with the GV800?
Neppon

Post by Neppon »

giloosh wrote:I have a Geovision GV1480 card that is not showing up as a device in the /dev folder but I think it is showing up with lspci as "Multimedia video controller"
I asked geovision if they can help but they said "Geovision system software only supports Windows Operating System at the moment."
Is there anything I could do to get it to work in linux as you have done with the GV800?
Well,

First you will need the kernel 2.6.30 source that have supporte to gv800.
Then you may try chance hardware address....
If you take a look here, you will figre out that gv800 have some caracteristics:
/usr/src/YOUR KERNEL/Documentation/video4linux/CARDLIST.bttv b/Documentation/video4linux/CARDLIST.bttv
+157 -> Geovision GV-800(S) (master) [800a:763d]
+158 -> Geovision GV-800(S) (slave) [800b:763d,800c:763d,800d:763d]

/usr/src/YOUR KERNEL/drivers/media/video/bt8xx/bttv-cards.c b/drivers/media/video/bt8xx/bttv-cards.c
+ { 0x763d800a, BTTV_BOARD_GEOVISION_GV800S, "GeoVision GV-800(S) (master)" },
+ { 0x763d800b, BTTV_BOARD_GEOVISION_GV800S_SL, "GeoVision GV-800(S) (slave)" }
+ { 0x763d800c, BTTV_BOARD_GEOVISION_GV800S_SL, "GeoVision GV-800(S) (slave)" },
+ { 0x763d800d, BTTV_BOARD_GEOVISION_GV800S_SL, "GeoVision GV-800(S) (slave)" },

/usr/src/YOUR KERNEL/drivers/media/video/bt8xx/bttv.h b/drivers/media/video/bt8xx/bttv.h
+#define BTTV_BOARD_GEOVISION_GV800S 0x9d
+#define BTTV_BOARD_GEOVISION_GV800S_SL 0x9e

Now use lspci to see you hardware ID, like I did with my gv800:
# lspci -v
05:0c.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
Subsystem: Device 800d:763d
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 255
Memory at dfef8000 (32-bit, prefetchable)

Now try change the kernel driver address to fit your address and change any gv800 to gv1480, compile the kernel, reboot cross your fingers :c)
Really can´t know if it will work but if I will have one gv1480, it´s my first bet :c)

Neppon
giloosh

Post by giloosh »

wow that is a lot of info to grasp. I will try to go through it carefully. Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted with any progress.
dogbertius

Geovision - Eversecure / Matco

Post by dogbertius »

One card I've managed to get _almost_ working by this is the EverSecure (aka Matco) 16 video-channel DVR card, with 4 audio channels. It's detected as the same device, but just doesn't work. I can get channel 0 on the first chip working perfectly, but no luck with the others, they just give me a blue video screen in xawtv.

These two card look almost identical (GeoVision GV800S and the EverSecure/Matco DVRC-DFM16). Both have an ATMEL processor, 4 connexant chips, the AA33PC identifier from PLX, the works. The only notable difference is the orientation of the ATMEL chip, that's about it. Sadly, no go. Anybody out there have any luck with this card?
HellMind

Post by HellMind »

giloosh wrote:wow that is a lot of info to grasp. I will try to go through it carefully. Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted with any progress.
And where is you progress :x :(
CoYoTe

Post by CoYoTe »

as far as i know, the only difference between GV800-900-1480 is the way the internal clock grabs frames from the video channels.
Thats why the differences, but, in general lines, make that all hard work.

I suggest someone contact BTTV drivers dev team to ask them if they can adjust clocks and read of channels in their drivers. Or, if there is somebody with enough skills to modify them, i really like to see this working.

Excellent work all that collaborates here.

Thx
Alejandro

PD: channel issues for sure can be "workarounded" testing the hard with all cams connected (all channels with signal), this because syncing video streams in a driver not fixed, its only possible getting all the signals up.

Try using "T" connectors to share one cam signal to the other channels, and try to open channels there. For sure, in a channel or another (the numeration uses to get messed up) but all channels for sure gonna appear in some way.
Alejandro
Berlic

Post by Berlic »

Hi there!

I have GV800 card with 8 channels.
I've managed to get it into zoneminder with Neppon instructions. But..
When I use only first 4 cameras -- everyting is OK.
And when I use cameras 5-8 using channel 1 on /dev/video0 .. /dev/video3 my first 4 cameras' video became identical to 5-8.

How to fix this?

My setup is:
camera1 - /dev/video0 (0)
camera2 - /dev/video1 (0)
camera3 - /dev/video2 (0)
camera4 - /dev/video3 (0)
camera5 - /dev/video0 (1)
camera6 - /dev/video1 (1)
camera7 - /dev/video2 (1)
camera8 - /dev/video3 (1)

When only 4 cameras:

camera1 - /dev/video0 (0) - Video from camera 1
camera2 - /dev/video1 (0) - Video from camera 2
camera3 - /dev/video2 (0) - Video from camera 3
camera4 - /dev/video3 (0) - Video from camera 4

When 8 cameras:

camera1 - /dev/video0 (0) - Video from camera 5
camera2 - /dev/video1 (0) - Video from camera 6
camera3 - /dev/video2 (0) - Video from camera 7
camera4 - /dev/video3 (0) - Video from camera 8
camera5 - /dev/video0 (1) - Video from camera 5
camera6 - /dev/video1 (1) - Video from camera 6
camera7 - /dev/video2 (1) - Video from camera 7
camera8 - /dev/video3 (1) - Video from camera 8
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Check the value of the V4L_MULTI_BUFFER (Options->Config), I believe you need to have it enabled.

Regards,

PacoLM
Berlic

Post by Berlic »

PacoLM, thanks for a tip.
This option was enabled. I turned it off and this helped!
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

Then you fixed your system?