Anyone using...

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
jamesj

Anyone using...

Post by jamesj »

Anyone using zoneminder on a semi-large scale, 80+ cameras? If so, could you tell me about your experience? We're a local school district thinking about migrating from a commercial solution to ZM.
sipi

Post by sipi »

I use a zm with 20+ cams. What do you want to know? Maybe I can help you.
jamesj

Post by jamesj »

How many ZM servers are you currently using for 20+ cameras? How's performance, reliability, and cost to maintain? Is ZM capable of doing 50-80 cameras?
sipi

Post by sipi »

This is one server on 100Mbps LAN. I use 21 cams (IP and analog) constantly. Analog cam use MJPEG 704x576 grey and IP cam use MJPEG 640x480 color resolution. I have 15 analog cams and 6 IP cams.

3 IP cams connect on 100Mbps LAN to an switch and 4 analog cams connect an IP video server. These are grouped (4 video sever and 2 switch) to an switch which connect to ZM server on uplink. Server has an gigabit LAN card. Server mobo is an old Intel 965 and processor is an old Intel 945D. There is 4GB RAM.

It can record events 10-12 fps but zm not use motion detection because IP cams and video server detects motion and send an signal to server "Record" on LAN. Because it is less load on the server. I tested that it can record from max. 22-24 cams.

I don't know what you want to use: IP or analog cam with video server or PC card. I do not know the requirements of the proposed system. If you write to them then I can give you a proposal.

Important. You need to take into that the network (bandwith) and the motherboard (PCI or PCIe and LAN interface) is able to process the data. Everything depends on the fps and the resolution.