Libjpeg-turbo 1.0 beta Released!

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
christophe_y2k

libjpeg-turbo work with Gentoo and ZM 1.24.3

Post by christophe_y2k »

Hello
That work under an Linux Gentoo update (64b)
for perf i say you in a couple of day
ok have 14-20% cpu usage with ZM v1.23.2 with standard jpeg
now have 3-10% cpu usage with ZM V1.24.3 With libjpeg turbo and +1 to +2 fps by ip camera

little procedure for gentoo (must adapt for you...)

# emerge --sync
# emerge zoneminder

configure it and when all are ok and work fine you can

(nb: i copy this procedure from gentoo bugzilla)
# emerge --unmerge jpeg-6b-r9
# emerge --unmerge jpeg-8b
# echo "=media-libs/libjpeg-turbo-1.0.1 **" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# mkdir /etc/portage/profile
# echo "media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
# echo "media-libs/jpeg-8b" >> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
# emerge --pretend libjpeg-turbo
# revdep-rebuild

and install svn of zm:

# emerge SVN-Mirror

# svn co http://svn.zoneminder.com/svn/zm/trunk /usr/share/zoneminder

# cd /usr/share/zoneminder
# ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-libarch=lib64 --with-mysql=/usr --with-ffmpeg --with-webdir=/var/www/zoneminder/htdocs --with-cgidir=/var/www/zoneminder/cgi-bin --with-webuser=apache --with-webgroup=apache --enable-debug=no --enable-crashtrace=no --enable-mmap=no ZM_DB_HOST=localhost ZM_DB_NAME=zm ZM_DB_USER=zmuser ZM_DB_PASS=zmpass CXXFLAGS=-D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS

# make
# make install
# zmupdate.pl -f

Warning on gentoo libjpeg-turbo, break OpenOffice package (now resolved with recently gentoo update)

Have a probleme with scaling not work in montage view but don't know if that a svn bug

Scalling is ok in one cam view or event view
If you have an idea for that write me
beanfield

Re: Libjpeg-turbo 1.0 beta Released!

Post by beanfield »

Looks like zoneminder 1.25 on ubuntu 12.04 insists on using libjpeg.so.8.0.2 instead of libjpeg.so.62.0.0. I was unable to force zoneminder to use the older version modified with libjpeg-turbo (using the methods posted in this thread). However, I did find a precompiled .deb linked from http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-mai ... 4.deb.html

Direct Link

Code: Select all

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libj/libjpeg-turbo/libjpeg-turbo8_1.1.90+svn733-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
dpkg -i libjpeg-turbo8_1.1.90+svn733-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
service zoneminder restart
Testing it out now, not sure if I really notice anything in terms of enhanced cpu performance...
JRoque

Re: Libjpeg-turbo 1.0 beta Released!

Post by JRoque »

Hi,

I'm on 12.04 as well, 32-bit, Virtualbox guest, 2 CPU out of quad Q6600 2.4Mhz, 900Mb RAM assigned

I stopped both Apache2 and Zoneminder (sudo service apache2 stop, etc) and per the library's page for my OS, I ran:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libjpeg-turbo8
With 6 cameras in Modect my utilization went from 85% user to 55% user. ZM load shows: 2.03.

Regards,
JR