Suggestions please: IP PoE for outdoor, 15M range

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
pete_c

Review of reasonably priced IP Cameras

Post by pete_c »

I'm also looking for a decent camera at a reasonable price.

I've read and heard very good things about the Mobotix cameras but don't want a spend that much at this time.

Here's a quickie review of some decent cameras / prices.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index. ... opic=17255
mcm

Post by mcm »

So I have all the gear and have started playing around with it.

The mobotix I ordered was a Q24M-Sec-D11 (11m hemispherical, day sensor/IR cut filter, Secure model of the Q24M).

There is a tremendous amount of configurability, and I find the web interface (hosted out the camera itself) to be the best. I find MxControlCenter and MxEasy to be buggy, although I am trying to use them on a real piece of dog shit laptop, so who knows.

MxPEG is bloody marvelous... the Q24M-Sec ships with 4GB internal flash storage, and I have yet to fill it up with 1 fps continuous recording + max FPS event driven recording for two days @ a combination of megapixel and 3mpixel resolution. This is currently in the living room so its capturing me walking around all day as events too.

I will say that if you want to use this camera outdoors or in conditions w/ weak lighting, get the night model. My living room reached a peak of 10 lux today according to the built in meter and was able to run the shutter at about 1/8sec.

As you can see, right now it is about 5.8 lux and running at 1/3sec shutter speed.

(Although as you can see I could dial down the exposure a little bit, it is fairly bright...)

Note: Those curved boxes are Motion Detection ("VM") windows, they are curved because you define them on the original fisheye image, so when that image gets distortion-corrected, so do the boxes. :)

Configurability of the VM windows seems just a hair behind zoneminder in terms of flexibility. Certainly is pretty complete though.

The interior lighting is quite dim, they are all the lowest wattage (like 9w...) fluorescent bulbs I could find.

I dragged the camera outside during the day (cloudy) and at 500 lux it is a very very pretty picture @ high frame rates too.

So, if you have lighting and/or only care about daylight, go with the day lense/sensor.

I'll let you know how the night ones turn out after I receive them.

The notification configuration options are fantastic, there are just tons and tons of possibilities with "Actions". I was at one point thinking I would have to use Zoneminder to trigger X11 devices and such, but you wouldn't even need to do that so long as you had some little server acting as a "X11 gateway" running maybe something like a simple web server with some basic cgi listening for instructions, which the mobotix can do.

e.g.,

The NAS I picked up (Synology RS810+) runs Linux and interestingly I believe a few people have tried running Zoneminder natively on the NAS... might be worth doing since I will have the mobotix throw data at the NAS already. I think it should have the grunt (it has a quad core processor even though literature advertises dual core... i guess that's just standard these days *lol*)[/img]
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Thanks for that review mcm.

It does look impressive. I guess it'd want to be at that price!

Does it work with ZM ok?
mcm

Post by mcm »

Here is a "raw" 1mpixel outdoor shot.

Exposure way too long, didnt spend any time adjusting from the indoor setup.

Edit: That got pretty heavily compressed in PNG... oops.

mcm

Post by mcm »

DaveQB wrote:Thanks for that review mcm.

It does look impressive. I guess it'd want to be at that price!

Does it work with ZM ok?
Haven't tried that yet -- shit ive never used ZM yet!

Someone else here, Mitch, he has used mobotix cams with ZM a lot.