Suggestions please: IP PoE for outdoor, 15M range

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
DaveQB

Suggestions please: IP PoE for outdoor, 15M range

Post by DaveQB »

Hi there,

I am looking and looking and finding it hard to find IP cameras that suit my needs let alone where to even get them.

So I was hoping someone could help out and make a some suggestions for IP cameras with PoE for external use and a range of about 15M (front of the house, side of the house, backyard etc)

Thanks.
mcm

Re: Suggestions please: IP PoE for outdoor, 15M range

Post by mcm »

DaveQB wrote:Hi there,

I am looking and looking and finding it hard to find IP cameras that suit my needs let alone where to even get them.

So I was hoping someone could help out and make a some suggestions for IP cameras with PoE for external use and a range of about 15M (front of the house, side of the house, backyard etc)

Thanks.
I think online ordering is where you will have most luck. I am trying to determine the same right now. It seems good quality outdoor POE cameras are quite expensive.
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Thanks mcm. I have concluded the same as you.

Any luck in finding a suitable brand/model for Zoneminder??
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

You can take a look at the IP cameras in bullet form factor that Bluecherry sells:

http://store.bluecherry.net/category_s/91.htm

There should be a few on that page that support Zoneminder, PoE and are weatherproof.
mcm

Post by mcm »

I am still researching but I am very impressed with the Mobotix Q24 (at least on paper.)

Being an IP cam designed for a distributed topology makes the $800 USD price somewhat manageable, and interoperability with zoneminder has been proven (mitch has pioneered this it seems).

The most impressive feature of course is the hemispheric (11mm fisheye) coverage and the 3mpixel resolution (@ 20 fps ...)

Feasible one camera could cover an area normally handled by 3-4+ 800x600 or 720p res cams.

The one thing I don't like is that they do not believe in moving parts so there is no IR cut filter for night operation. Their night cameras are DUAL sensor/lense to achieve this (more expense...) and there is no dual sensor Q24, only a "day" and "night" version... Night running permanently in B&W and only 1Mpixel... So you can't get best of both worlds w/o buying two of em..

However these are possibly not concerns if you have outdoor lighting.
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Thanks for the responses!!

Thanks for that link timcraig.

I see some cameras there that look like they are good candidates but I don't know enough to know (mcm's post confused me :) )

I think I need to find some and then do some research.
Thanks for putting me on the right track all.
mcm

Post by mcm »

mcm

Post by mcm »

Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Don't forget about PoE splitters that cost about £15 (linksys and d-link) and allow any 12v or 5v camera to work at the end of a poe line. I've used these extensively with axis and y-cams for several years now.
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Flash_ wrote:Don't forget about PoE splitters that cost about £15 (linksys and d-link) and allow any 12v or 5v camera to work at the end of a poe line. I've used these extensively with axis and y-cams for several years now.
Cool thanks. How do they work exactly?
Is there anyway to gain PoE off a normally, non-PoE switch with an adapter? Would and injector do this?
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Yes, an injector takes a normal cat5 data line and a mains power source in on one side and puts out PoE on the other.

I use these as well as poe switches where I've just got one camera to feed. These are the ones I use;

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... 8wIwADgA#p

(The splitters at the other end I mentioned; http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... 8wIwAjgA#p )
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

Thanks Flash_

Now to choose some cameras...
mcm

Post by mcm »

DaveQB wrote:Thanks Flash_

I'm about to buy a Mobotix Q24M-D11-Sec

If you aren't in a hurry I'd be glad to let you know how it works out.

I plan on powering and networking it with a Netgear FS728TP (10/100 x 24, 1000 x 4, POE on all 10/100 ports, 195W POE Budget), and for a NAS I am going with a Synology RS409 w/ 4x WD10EALS (Destern Wigitals).

I am hoping to do the wiring, mount it up, and see how it looks this weekend.

I am bringing back from the dead an old FreeBSD box to run Zoneminder on also. The plan is to let the Mobotix do it's thing straight to NAS, but use Zoneminder for more (total?) control of motion detection event triggering and hopefully X10 or maybe ZWave integration to flick lights on and so forth.

I'm going to go with the DAYLIGHT model of the Q24N to start with. I want one for indoors and two for outdoors so if this one doesn't do as well as I want outdoors w/ my existing lighting, I will use it indoors and get a NIGHT model.
DaveQB

Post by DaveQB »

mcm wrote:
DaveQB wrote:Thanks Flash_

I'm about to buy a Mobotix Q24M-D11-Sec

If you aren't in a hurry I'd be glad to let you know how it works out.

I plan on powering and networking it with a Netgear FS728TP (10/100 x 24, 1000 x 4, POE on all 10/100 ports, 195W POE Budget), and for a NAS I am going with a Synology RS409 w/ 4x WD10EALS (Destern Wigitals).

I am hoping to do the wiring, mount it up, and see how it looks this weekend.

I am bringing back from the dead an old FreeBSD box to run Zoneminder on also. The plan is to let the Mobotix do it's thing straight to NAS, but use Zoneminder for more (total?) control of motion detection event triggering and hopefully X10 or maybe ZWave integration to flick lights on and so forth.

I'm going to go with the DAYLIGHT model of the Q24N to start with. I want one for indoors and two for outdoors so if this one doesn't do as well as I want outdoors w/ my existing lighting, I will use it indoors and get a NIGHT model.
Thanks mcm!
What is the timeframe for this?

Thanks again.
mcm

Post by mcm »

DaveQB wrote:
Thanks mcm!
What is the timeframe for this?

Thanks again.
Before 11/21 is an absolute necessity as I am leaving the country for a few days on the Sunday.

I plan on doing most/all of the seutp/install the weekend of 11/13 (shipping permitted.)

I changed my equipment order a little after doing a little more research, decided to bite the bullet on a much faster/more flexible managed switch and NAS so it's now a Cisco SGE2000P & a Synology RS810+.

Hopefully that setup will be good for many many years.