Zoneminder Hanging during Shutdown

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
c3p9

Zoneminder Hanging during Shutdown

Post by c3p9 »

Hello everyone,

I just installed ZM on a Ubuntu PC. Since the first installation I can't get the PC to shutdown. I seems ZM is hanging somehow. the display shows the message:

Zoneminder Stopping and hangs there....

Anyone with the same problem or a solution?

Please let me know any further information is needed. Iḿ new to ZM as well as to Linux!
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

What happens when you run

sudo zmpkgl.pl stop
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Delay MySQL shut down a few seconds so ZM can stop gracefully. Search the forums for how others have fixed this.
c3p9

Post by c3p9 »

Flash_ wrote:What happens when you run

sudo zmpkgl.pl stop
Flash - I get a "command no found" reply.
bb99 wrote: Delay MySQL shut down a few seconds so ZM can stop gracefully. Search the forums for how others have fixed this.
I've searched the whole forum. I've read somethings about problems during start up but couldn't anything related to shutdown hangings.
Pada

Post by Pada »

c3p9, try: sudo service zm stop
If you've used the package manager to install ZoneMinder, then you might have to use 'zoneminder' instead of 'zm'. eg. sudo service zoneminder stop

Could you perhaps tell us what setup guide you used? As well as the specific Ubuntu version you're running.
c3p9

Post by c3p9 »

Pada wrote:c3p9, try: sudo service zm stop
If you've used the package manager to install ZoneMinder, then you might have to use 'zoneminder' instead of 'zm'. eg. sudo service zoneminder stop

Could you perhaps tell us what setup guide you used? As well as the specific Ubuntu version you're running.
sudo service zoneminder stop worked. Took it about 5 to 10 secs.

Iḿ running Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) and kernel 2.6.32-25-generic-pae.

As for the installation I used mostly the recommendations on this website (words are in portuguese but all comments can be understood):

http://www.vivaolinux.com.br/artigo/Ubu ... para-CFTV/

The explanation is a sequence of links posted underneath the first text:

Páginas do artigo (Article Pages)
1. Introdução (Introduction)
2. Verificando a placa instalada (Checking the installed capture board)
3. Instalações (installations)
4. Instalação do Zoneminder (Zoneminder installation)
5. Script de inicialização (inicialization scripts)
6. Acessando o ZM (Accessing ZM)
7. Dicas e conclusão (Tips and conclusions).

Please any help is greatly appreciated.

btw... the system is hanging even if I stop ZM service before shutting down. I get the same " Zoneminder Stopping" messaging.
Pada

Post by Pada »

That installation guide is very old!

I would suggest that you try my installation script (even though I wrote & tested it on Ubuntu 10.10): http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 5285#65285

Alternatively follow this newer guide intended for Ubuntu 10.04: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 29_Desktop

* Please uninstall/remove the existing ZoneMinder before trying either of those setup guides. If you don't know how to, I would suggest that you either reinstall Ubuntu OR wait for someone else to help you :)
c3p9

Post by c3p9 »

Pada wrote:That installation guide is very old!

I would suggest that you try my installation script (even though I wrote & tested it on Ubuntu 10.10): http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 5285#65285

Alternatively follow this newer guide intended for Ubuntu 10.04: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... 29_Desktop

* Please uninstall/remove the existing ZoneMinder before trying either of those setup guides. If you don't know how to, I would suggest that you either reinstall Ubuntu OR wait for someone else to help you :)
Pada, I'm afraid reinstalling Ubuntu isn't an option. It came already installed on this PC and I'm too fresh in Linux to try such a radical solution.

Everything is working except this shutdown problem. Is there a way to uninstall Zoneminder without reinstalling the whole system?

Two other questions:
1) Can I try a newer script without uninstalling whaever I've done already??

2) Is there a solution for this problem that doesn't require reapplying the script?
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Everything is working except this shutdown problem. Is there a way to uninstall Zoneminder without reinstalling the whole system?
Yes but on linux this almost never helps
Two other questions:
1) Can I try a newer script without uninstalling whaever I've done already??
It may make you problem worse
river100

Post by river100 »

I would have to agree with all of the above about trying to fix your install.
it can be done but might need more knowledge than you may have.

it would be much easier for you to reinstall ubuntu. if you have a CD ROM drive in the pc then it's the easiest thing you might do with linux.

if you don't have a cd rom drive it can be installed with a flash drive.

the newest release of ubuntu, 10.10 is really nice. although it's not an LTS