Success Stories for perimeter+indoor monitoring of a home?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
mcm

Success Stories for perimeter+indoor monitoring of a home?

Post by mcm »

Hi, I'm just looking to see if anyone has some known good equipment combinations for exterior (~4 outdoor cameras, motion detect alerts/recording) and interior (~4 cameras motion detect alarm/recording) monitoring of a residence, using IP cameras?

It is hard to determine whether some of the newer cameras out there are compatible with zoneminder, as the known good list on the Wiki appears mostly to contain much older and sometimes even retired models.

Speaking of manufacturers, who is considered the sweet spot for performance/quality vs cost these days?

My home was recently broken into and I have decided to get serious about perimeter monitoring & X.10 integration/light control/alarms and remote notification via email/SMS/phone/whatever makes sense. It is worth noting that I do not have any immediate neighbours so there is little "security in groups" going on here.

Budget < $4k if feasible.

Equipment I know I will need:

New computer build (FreeBSD pref) - They stole my computers
POE Hub/Switch: Cisco SRW224G4P
Few hundred feet of Cat 5/6
3-4 outdoor cameras
3-4 indoor cameras
X.10 computer interface
X.10 control modules for specific lights (presence simulation, modect triggering?)

Any other suggestions are very welcome!
Last edited by mcm on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcm

Post by mcm »

Guess I will reply to my own post with one comment I found in another thread regarding "best bang/buck cameras":

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... 8922#48922
mcm

Post by mcm »

It looks like the Cisco SRW224G4P would be an ideal POE switch.