Ubu 10.4 Server - Sources Red After Restart

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
redebeer

Ubu 10.4 Server - Sources Red After Restart

Post by redebeer »

Hi, i have multiple issues which im working around with...the one im having a problem with is after a pc reboot (and the zm app having to be restarted again due to the timing of service starts) , my zm is running ,but the sources are red and nothing records

I have done sudo adduser www-data video at installation time

This problem gets fixed by me going into the settings of one source, ticking the keep aspect ratio for isntance, all goes green, or chmod 777 /dev/video* and /etc/init.d/zoneminder restart fixes this

The prob im having is a restart occurs close to midnight via cronjob, and when pc comes back up, its not recording

Anybody experiencing the same thing/fix?
I read that shouldnt install via apt no more rather build from source?...

Kind Regards
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

Its possible that ZM fails to start because its being started before MySQL.

Try looking into your system log (/var/log/messages), it might say why ZM is failing to start.

And the reason people recommend installing from source (SVN repository) is because the code there is usually newer, but if you are not having any problems and you are not a linux guru, it might not be worth the hassle.

mastertheknife.
Flav

Post by Flav »

or the data base is corupted

Code: Select all

mysqlcheck --al-database
Are you sure that events folder is writable ?
redebeer

Post by redebeer »

Yes, mysql starting too close to zm is THE problem, but even after restarting zoneminder when all my /dev/video0-7 has been generated , sources still stay red untill i just fiddle with them...
Im going to build from source, was just too lazy, and im busy with 10's of other things
I dont however think its prob with db, this is brand new setups, on 5 machines

The package through apt on ubu 9.10 was working 100's for me, this one obviously not...it just such a convenience to do it through aptitude

Thanks for help

Kind Regards
savoy9020

Re: Ubu 10.4 Server - Sources Red After Restart

Post by savoy9020 »

Had the same problem with Ubuntu Server 10.04. The problem is
that Mysql is started by upstart, and zoneminder by init.d/scripts. Mysql hasn't completed loading by the time that zoneminder is firing up.

I put a "sleep 10" in the zoneminder start script and it works fine on every boot now.

Bill

redebeer wrote:Hi, i have multiple issues which im working around with...the one im having a problem with is after a pc reboot (and the zm app having to be restarted again due to the timing of service starts) , my zm is running ,but the sources are red and nothing records

I have done sudo adduser www-data video at installation time

This problem gets fixed by me going into the settings of one source, ticking the keep aspect ratio for isntance, all goes green, or chmod 777 /dev/video* and /etc/init.d/zoneminder restart fixes this

The prob im having is a restart occurs close to midnight via cronjob, and when pc comes back up, its not recording

Anybody experiencing the same thing/fix?
I read that shouldnt install via apt no more rather build from source?...

Kind Regards
SquALeD

Re: Ubu 10.4 Server - Sources Red After Restart

Post by SquALeD »

I put a "sleep 10" in the zoneminder start script and it works fine on every boot now.

Bill
Hi Bill, whereabouts did you put this 'sleep 10' in the start script?

Could you paste the code please?

Thanks

Sq