Live View refresh flicks after Firefox upgrade to v 3.6

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Eklectick

Live View refresh flicks after Firefox upgrade to v 3.6

Post by Eklectick »

Hi

Has anyone here had an issue with the live images "flickering" both in the live and montage view after doing an upgrade to version 3.6 of Firefox?

Before (and always) images showed up without a flicker of every refresh.

Is there a way around this annoying flicker? :-)

(No flicks using cambozola in IE)

Regards!
Oskar

Post by Oskar »

Not sure if this is the same thing. But on a remote 1.23.3 system I sometimes log in to, I noticed a flicker lately. It's more of the bottom part of the video gets cut off randomly. Running Firefox 3.6.3. I get the 'flicker' on playback as well. All the stills from an event look complete to me though.

After reading this post about IE, I switched to that to check, and there's no 'flicker'. Actually, it did for a split second on start up and since then, it's been good with no 'flicker' for both live view and playback.

However, on my home system (again 1.23.3), using Firefox 3.6.3 there's no 'flicker' at all.
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

your computer is too fast .... or your browser!

no kiddin'

seriously. i had the same problem with opera - the 10.5 and 10.1 versions were so much faster at rendering than the 10 or 9 versions, the replay was 'flickering' - the new frame is drawn before your videocard/monitor/eye had the time to fully appreciate the last one

it's like waveing your hand in front of a TV set ...

anyways opera has a setting (pref/advanced/browsing/loading) called 'redraw instantly' where you tell it how quickly the page that you see should be drawn - change that and the flicker goes away

don't know yet what the firefox seeting for that would be ...

slower browsers (eg FF 3, 3.5) are not affected since the redraw is slower ... makes sense?!
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

Wow, thanks jfkastner!

Ever since i patched ZM's mjpeg auto detection for opera (See here) I had it flicker, setting the redraw to "redraw instantly" solved the flickering!

mastertheknife.
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

glad it worked for you! this one can be tricky since everyone has a different video/cpu/browser/network performance, and speed/latency makes all the difference

for firefox it might be this setting (in about:config)

nglayout. initialpaint. delay

here's what mozillazine says about it:

Determines time in milliseconds to wait before an initial reflow attempt during page rendering. Default value is 250. Synchronize with content.notify.interval for best performance.

maybe someone could confirm my suggestion ...
Oskar

Post by Oskar »

Thanks jfkastner!
I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight and see what happens.
MarcoP

Post by MarcoP »

For my Firefox I had to change
Options -> High b/w -> WEB_H_VIDEO_MAXFPS to 5
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I have this problem too. I looked for the 'nglayout. initialpaint. delay ' setting in about:config, but it is not there, I find only two settings for nglayout, and both are either true or false.

I also tried the Options setting :
Options -> High b/w -> WEB_H_VIDEO_MAXFPS to 5

No joy either, anyone else come up with a fix for this except backing down to a older version of FF?

It appears that as long as I am looking at things on the local network it is not a issue, it is a issue if I am doing remote viewing. I guess the high bw of the local network moves enough info to keep FF happy, but when looking at a remote system the BW provided for the out-
going connection is not enough to keep FF happy.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm
overly

Post by overly »

I've experienced the same problem. This is a bug in FF 3.6. Here's the Mozilla bug report on the subject:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=542096

Looks like it won't be fixed until the release after 3.6.4.[/url]
Bluecherry PV-149 4-port capture card
Topica TP-936WIR-30C camera
Cheap Harbor Freight camera
HP Athlon 64 X2 w/ 2GB
Slackware 13 - 2.6.29.6-smp kernel
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Perhaps if all of those of us who use IP cams would drop a note to them perchance they
MIGHT get the idea that what they have screwed up really sux for a group of users and
I suspect that a larger group of users for whom this is a part of many things they view.

It would appear they ought to be able to come up with some form of fix as these streams
I am sure are more common than perhaps we realise.

It would appear to me that they had it fixed and some old code got back into the code stream
and now we have a corrupt version. Guess I will try to go back to 3.5 until it is fixed.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

" ...I looked for the 'nglayout. initialpaint. delay ' setting in about:config, but it is not there ..."

try creating it, can't remember IF i had to or not

i'm useing FF37a6pre from 06-25 (nightly) and everything seems fine

also playing with the framerates/bitrates helps, of course depending on your LAN/WAN/server speed so i can't really give you a recommendation
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

These are the only two entries I find for that:
nglayout.enable_drag_images;true
nglayout.events.dispatchLeftClickOnly;true

There are no other entries for nglayout in the FF I have it is ver 3.6.3
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
jfkastner

Post by jfkastner »

" ... There are no other entries for nglayout ... "

that's exactly why i suggested you create that entry:

in the about:config page you make a right click

new -> integer -> preference name : nglayout.initialpaint.delay

value : 155

that's the # i use, and it works for me, but depending on your PC speed, LAN, WAN, camera fps etc etc you need something else
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I added the stanza, but the value you gave did me no good, I started adjusting up and
down, I found that certain cameras would give a steady image, others would continue
to have the flickering lower edge, appears that if I get rid of it on one camera (I believe
it is related to frame rate) it pops up on another, or another group, and usually the key
is the frame rate.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

Has anyone tried Opera 10.60? I updated to it and now the images are VERY slow to
appear if they do at all, any one have any ideas, I was running 10.10, it did pretty good,
but there were still some things, figured that a upgrade would perhaps fix them but now
it is so slow to display the images as to be useless...
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com