Ubuntu 9.04 / ZM 1.24.1 - Apache Randomly Stops

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
tcarmen

Post by tcarmen »

tcarmen wrote:FWIW, I had the exact same problem (on Suse), and "aa-complain *" made the vanishing socket problem vanish.

Since the box doesn't run any non-ZM processes and isn't publicly accessible, I don't really care if it's running SELinux (in fact, I'd prefer that it not, since any overhead is wasted).

Terry
I take back what I said.

It seemed stable for a little while, but it was just a pause in the freezes. It's just as bad as it eve was, even with apparmor disabled.

Since apache is generally as stable as anything on the planet. I have to beleive that ZM is doing something unexpected or weird.

Does anybody have a fix for this? It's not much use having web based software that requires ssh-ing to the box for restarts all the time.

Terry
beepy

Post by beepy »

did you end up solving this issue?
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

Upgrading with reinstall to 1.24.2 fixes this 99.99% for me.
kububa

Seamonkey works fine

Post by kububa »

I have my Zoneminder 1.24.2 on fresh Ubuntu 9.10 server x64 install, followed this excellent guide, when compiling: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... ola-0.7%29
and
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=55152.

After sometime Firefox did not want to show the monitors page on client machine until apache2 restart.

I was very surprised when I figured it out, that Seamonkey http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ works fine. I don't know for other browsers, but it looks like it's not apache2, but Firefox that fails.

Will this help you guys?
kububa

Post subject: Seamonkey works fine

Post by kububa »

:( SeaMonkey 1.1.17 also stalls, but quite rarely, not as often as Firefox 3.5.

I noticed, that changing streaming method to mpeg (swf?) helps a lot, but still it does not fix the problem.
InTheZone

Post by InTheZone »

Is there any progress being made in solving this problem?

I am running Zoneminder 1.24.2 and get the browser "Waiting for host" hanging problems after I try to view an alarm event. It occurs regardless of whether accessing from a remote machine or on the Zoneminder host itself. I am using Firefox and the problem makes Zoneminder practically unusable.

Which work arounds are working for people? Is it necessary to use a different browser or stream using ffmpeg instead of nph-zms?
netwalker

Post by netwalker »

On Ubuntu I think I have solved this problem with a

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libcache-mmap-perl

*hopefully*

edit: Nope, it was just teasing.......and for the record mine does it infrequently on the LAN, but *very* regularly on WAN. I'm thinking of downgrading to 1.23 which works great at my other site.
netwalker

Apache Global Configuration

Post by netwalker »

Okay, I seem to have stopped this problem with all of the browsers I have in my arsenal.

I changed the Apache global server configuration (processes and limits) using Webmin to the following:

Maximum requests per server process: 10
Minimum spare server processes: 5
Maximum spare server processes: 10
Initial server processes:10

Good Luck, hope this helps.

edit: This made it usable, but it's not a long term fix. Still crashing 50% if I close the window while it's streaming.
netwalker

Downgrade

Post by netwalker »

Frustrated to the point of downgrading. 1.23.3 is running much smoother than any of the 1.24.x versions.

I guess I'll wait to upgrade until the next patch comes out.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

I did a fresh ubuntu install and used the new package 1.24.2 see user contribs.

and I have had ff running with a zoneminder stream running for the last 3 days and have had no issues. I think this may have been resolved.