Do I need to change the Port in ZM

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
snake61

Post by snake61 »

I have a wireless USB used to connetc to the internet. However, to connect to the internet I have to unplug the Axis 211A IP camera I am using with ZM. The Axis Camera is connected to the NIC card.

I am assuming because the internet uses Port 80, and ZM uses Port 80, I can not connect to the internet because they are confused.

Do I need to change the Port for my ZM to use the Axis 211A? and how do I change that port. Moreover, if I change the port, do i need to assign the computer ZM is on a static IP address and Port , and forward the port in the router so I can access it from outside? :?
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
cordel

Post by cordel »

Yes,you should have a static address on the server.
If you need to change ports, it is handled by apache, but you shouldn't need to.
To manage your router : http://portforward.com/ should help you better manage this and answer any questions you have on ports and forwarding.
snake61

Do I need to change the Port on ZM

Post by snake61 »

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the Port Forwarding on my router.

However, to clarify, my question was-Do I need to assign a static IP address to the machine ZM is installed on? of which I believe you said yes. Now I need to point the router to that machine, which would be the Port forwarding. However, how do I change the port in ZM to use a different Port. I have read some threads addressing the same issue, but none clarify.

Thanks
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
cordel

Post by cordel »

You should not need to change the port unless one of the followiing things is happening.
:!: Your ISP is blocking 80
:!: You are already forwarding 80 to another machine
:!: Your router has admin from the outside configured and is using port 80 itself on the WAN side.

If you still believe you need to change the apache port, It will be handled by the Apache configuration files. Something like /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf or /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf. It's completely dependent on your distro though and could be in is own configuration file somewhere under /etc/httpd or /etc/apache2.

Your best bet is to google for 'apache port <your_distro>' and that should put you on the right track.
snake61

Do I need to Change Port on ZM

Post by snake61 »

Okay. So if I do not need to change any Ports, then I ask why will my Wireless USB Adpater not connect to the internet on the same machine that the IP camera is plugged into running ZM. I have to unplug the USB Wireless Adapter so that the Axis camera will operate, and vise versa. That's why I was asking about Ports. I don't know. Any ideas?
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
bb99

Post by bb99 »

Sounds like an IP address conflict. I'm picturing your system with a wired nic used to connect to the 211a and an usb wireless connection to the router(?).
coke

Post by coke »

Ok, so let's clarify some more. You're connected to the internet through a dsl/cable router? Your Axis 211A is plugged into the same router? Said router also provides wireless to your laptop, but it only works when your laptop is wired into the same hub? Could be a wireless routing issue. Is the wireless provided by a different access point?

Plug everything in, connect to your wifi, and post the results of "ifconfig" and the address of the camera. Does the camera have a static IP on your local network, or is it going dhcp?
snake61

Post by snake61 »

bb99 has pictured the setup correctly.

The setup is- Wireless DSL/Cable modem in the house. That access point has one computer attached and is setup for DHCP.

My ZM computer is in a seperate building. That computer has an NIC into which the 211A is plugged into. Initially was a standalone.

Now, I want to setup ZM to send an email alert so I purchased a Wireless USB Adapter for the ZM computer.

I have plugged in the USB Wireless Adapter and configured it. But as stated, when I plugg in the USB Wireless while the 211A is plugged, computer locks up. I have to remove the Wireless and my 211A, restart the computer, plug in the USB wireless to use the internet. When done, I have to unplug the USB wireless, and plug in the 211A.

I am checking, but I found another threa that it may be a USB Wireless Adapter AND NIC issue and not a ZM issue. Sorry if that's the case, because it wasted ZM resources in the forum.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
snake61

SOLVED

Post by snake61 »

Interesting. You can fit my knowledge of Linux and Networking into a thimble. And after hours of reading sooooo many threads and not finding a solution. I was sitting at the desk and I thought about it.

This is what I came up with and it works fine: I set the static IP address for ZM box to 192.168.0.???, and the Axis camera to 192.168.0.???. Then I went to the wireless USB Adapter and set that to 192.168.1.???

Works fine now. Don't ask me why, but if someone wants to explain it for others-have at it.

Thanks.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

another option is your subnetmask is blocking the connection.

aka haveing 255.255.255.0 as the mask
and having addresses like

and 192.168.0.0

however with this mask you should be able to see the other.
snake61

SOLVED-Do I need to change Port in ZM

Post by snake61 »

Thanks kingo fkya.

I'll try that as well to experiment and learn.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
snake61

Assigning a new Port to ZM

Post by snake61 »

Kingofkya-Nope. Changing the subnet to 255.255.0.0 broke everything. However, I do think I learned the problem. The computer has a NIC of which is defaulted to at startup. When you insert the USB WIFI Adapter, and although it can be set up in PCC, and its says its there and connected-it's not. Only when you disconnect the LAN will the WIFI work. I think when you plug in either device, it disables the other. I don't know the fix, still researching it. Hopefully this saves people some time, I've spent hours and this appears to be the conclusion. There are several suggestions of using both a LAN (ZM) with IP cameras, and a WIFI for internet access. If anyone knows, the help would sure be nice.

Thanks.
Thanks for all the Help.
New to Linux
bb99

Post by bb99 »

With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and using 192.168.0.XXX and 192.168.1.XXX you are, in effect, creating two separate networks that can't see each other (one above the mask and one below). Changing the mask to 255.255.0.0 shouldn't have broken anything. So it reads to me as though you have one connection (eth0) established with a configuration for both the NIC (eth0.1) and the USB wireless (eth0.2) what you want to have are two connections (eth0 and eth1) with a single configuration for each. Try creating a second connection, or delete the first connection and start over by configuring the first to the NIC and the second to the wifi...